Egg whites--who knew!??

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • OK, apparently a LOT of you knew the egg white secret, LOL. But honestly, I thought it sounded a little whacky and bland. But the other night, I was wanting a quick supper and I didn't want a ton of calories, so I decided to do the egg white thing with my omlette. Instead of using 2 whole large eggs (142 cals), I did one whole egg and 2 egg whites instead (104 cals). Know what? I couldn't really even taste the difference! I don't know if I'm totally ready to go completely egg white, but it was really, really good.

The calorie savings are really nice, but the huge savings is in the cholesterol and fat. So if anyone thinks, like I used to, that substituting egg whites for the real deal seems silly....give it a try!
  • Hi Chime,

I love egg whites! I buy them in the containers for efficiency purposes. I actually don't eat whole eggs much at all anymore.

A little meal I have affectionately called Mexicana Mix is really great! You should try it. I have it for dinner a lot and it's filling and super healthy!

1/2 cup of egg whites (4)
    2 oz of cut up cooked chicken breast
    Small handfull of chopped green and white onion
    Small handfull of chopped green, red and yellow pepper
    Fry it up (cook the eggs first) with fat free non-stick spray
    Add salsa and viola...
    If you want a bit more carbs, I add in a little rice!

Egg whites are also a great coating for foods. I often will dip cut up potatotes into egg white and bake them for what tastes just like french fries...crunchy without the fat
  • hmm i don't think I'd go completely egg white in my omelets. The yolk does have a lot of nutrients too.
  • I wish I didn't notice the difference But I only have eggs about once a week, so I don't worry about it too much.
  • I LOVE egg white omlettes. Was overdoing them a bit back in the beginning, got a little tired of them and needed to eliminate them for a while. But luckily I brought them back and love them once again. For me, if I'm home, 3 egg whites, some veggies - makes a PERFECT filling, nutritious and delicious, low cal snack.
  • Quote: Hi Chime,

I love egg whites! I buy them in the containers for efficiency purposes. I actually don't eat whole eggs much at all anymore.

A little meal I have affectionately called Mexicana Mix is really great! You should try it. I have it for dinner a lot and it's filling and super healthy!
    I like my new shortened nickname of 'Chime'!

I'll definitely try the recipe, Staccie--thanks! I'm not much on salsa, but I could see throwing a little bit of diced potato in there and hitting it with the fresh ground pepper...I bet it would be really good.
  • Quote: I wish I didn't notice the difference But I only have eggs about once a week, so I don't worry about it too much.

Nah, I wouldn't really worry about it much either. I'm just trying really hard to make as many little changes as I can to get things a little healthier and I thought I'd give this one a try. I definitely notice, but it's not a bad change (to me). I am a little skeptical of going totally egg white, though--I'll have to be convinced on that one! To me, if it's all egg whites then there darn well better be a lemon pie underneath it!
  • Totally, love egg whites here too
  • I was SO totally on a Very Low Calorie Diet which dicatated that I only eat egg white omelets every. single. morning. I can't stomach the things, now.

SO, what I do is what you did -- 1 egg and 3 or 4 egg whites. Just enough of the egg flavor to keep me happy. I don't worry about the egg yolk, either.

Kira
  • Quote: o me, if it's all egg whites then there darn well better be a lemon pie underneath it!
  • I like to take a tomato (this is for more than one person), slice it up like if I'm gonna put it in a hambuger, and put a bit of olive oil in a pan. Then I put a bit of curry on the tomato and cook on each side. THEN I throw the egg whites over the tomato till each tomato is covered, kind of like enclosing the tomato in egg white. Then I let it cook and top it with whatever veggies I want. Usually peppers and onions, you can throw on some salsa with your plate and MMMMMM! I also like to cook the tomato till it's very soft. SO GOOD!
  • Oh yum about the tomato - I am going to try that tonight!!!
  • It's my understanding that the yolk, while it does contain fat, also contains the Vitamin E and other important nutrients, so I do sometimes eat them. Mostly I eat eggbeaters. Sometimes I put one whole egg in with the eggbeaters, and every now and then I just eat a couple of over easy eggs with whole grain toast and count up the calories.
  • I eat both. I think the nutrition in the yolk is worth it and I seem to be doing ok with eating a couple whole eggs everyday so I'm not worried about it. Besides throwing out the yolk seems wasteful to me.
  • Quote: The yolk does have a lot of nutrients too.
    And ALL of the flavor. I usually do a mix - 1 whole to three whites. Of course, I also usually add cheese and herbs to eggs, so for me it probably wouldn't matter as much.