Working out in the am?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I can't offer any advice for motivating your butt out of bed, as my baby wakes me up around 6 or 7 every morning. I can, however, share that I LOVE earlymorning workouts! They make me feel so accomplished, and my whole day seems to flow better!
  • For years I tried getting up early...I succeeded half the time but never committed. There's something about getting up before 6am that just kills me. When I WAS doing it however, I would put my alarm across the room so I had to get up to turn it off. Then once up I usually had to pee so I would go then splash cold water on my face and wrists.

I'm so not a morning person
  • I am in the same boat as you bulldog. I have been trying to get up earlier to do my workouts before work- mind you I work 7am. So I need to get up at 5am. This is a real challenge. I do turn my alarm off and just keep saying 10-15 more minutes im going to get up. But if I keep doing this I just aint going to get results I want. So im going to do like everyone says no snooze or "extra minutes" and set everything out night before!
  • I really need to use some of this advice. I always tell myself as long as I plan out what I'll wear and eat the next day, I'm good to go. But I have issues with snooze and really dragging in the mornings. Family and roommates learn pretty quickly to steer clear of me in the mornings because I'm not very pleasant to be around for a few hours.
  • Another thing I've noticed (as recently as this morning). If I have a really healthy dinner that has both protein and carbs, its easier for me to work out in the morning. Last night I made a turkey enchilada with fat-free bean dip, salsa, low fat cheese on a brown rice tortilla (with brown rice on the side) and my body had SO much energy this morning.
  • Heh, this thread made me giggle. I can't wake up early in the morning to work out. Period. It would be much nicer than working out after work, but I found that when I accepted that early morning wasn't going to happen and that I had to exercise in the evenings if at all, I actually got serious about working out.
  • My dirty little trick when I need to wake up early is to drink a ton of water right as I'm going to bed. As soon as the alarm goes off and I'm even mildly awake I need to pee, and tadaa! I'm out of bed. LOL
  • Quote: My dirty little trick when I need to wake up early is to drink a ton of water right as I'm going to bed. As soon as the alarm goes off and I'm even mildly awake I need to pee, and tadaa! I'm out of bed. LOL
    Haha! That sounds like it would work amazing. With my luck I'd end up waking up at 3am and then going back to sleep.
  • you know one time i got up around 4:00am (i leave for work around 6:00) i exercised and made myself a healthy breakfast. i did that once and never did it again. i think some people just are not morning exercisers.

i remember bob greene was saying that people should workout at the time its most comfortable for them.
  • ha! i am definately going to try drinking a lot before bed. good idea!
  • I have to do my main workout in the mornings (running 3 miles on the treadmill) before the kids get up. I'm so not an early morning person but I didn't give myself the option of not doing it and surprisingly that works pretty well