i found an amazing running song for me!

• i just wanted to share this. usually i just run to fast-paced music but while i was running today a song came on my ipod that really helped motivate me. the dong is called "dutch courage" by the spill canvas. the song is very obviously about a girl who drinks too much, but i connected to it because one of the lines in the chorus is "ten bucks says you don't have it in you." and then some of the other lyrics are discouraging. i found myself treating the song like every single person who has ever commented on my weight or in my mind, was even thinking that i couldn't do it. so running faster/longer while listening to the song was my way of sticking it to them and proving them all wrong. it was really motivating for me. i ran further than i have before and i HATE running!

anyone else have songs that they connect to the lyrics in a similar way? i need to make a running mix on my ipod called "proving them all wrong." haha.
  • Yes!
    1. make it happen by Mariah carey----really good weight loss motivator!
    2. The Climb, Myley Cyrus
    3. Just a girl, No doubt
  • Ooo.. I have lots of songs I find inspiring. Here's a few:

Hilary Duff: Fly
    Incubus: Drive
    Jennifer Love Hewitt: How Do I Deal?
    Lifehouse: Simon
    Lifehouse: Quasimodo
    Aerosmith: Amazing
    Avril Lavigne: Unwanted
    Christina Aguilera: Fighter
    Mariah Carey: Someday
    Maroon 5: Not Coming Home
    Miley Cyrus: Fly
    Nickelback: If Today Was Your Last Day
    Scott Stapp: Justify
    Scott Stapp: You Will Soar
    Smile Empty Soul: Finding Myself
    Switchfoot: Meant To Live
    Switchfoot: Dare You To Move
    Switchfoot: This Is Your Life
  • Wow...
    what a great idea!!! I’ll have to download those songs...
    Thanks and happy running!
  • Freakiel, I just downloaded the song and I gotta say, I lovee it!! and that line "ten bucks says you don't have it in you"---lovee that and I totally get the motivation from that. I never heard of this band before. Thanks
  • Quote: Freakiel, I just downloaded the song and I gotta say, I lovee it!! and that line "ten bucks says you don't have it in you"---lovee that and I totally get the motivation from that. I never heard of this band before. Thanks
    i'm glad you like it! i really love this band. "polygraph, right now!" is my other fave song of theirs. you should check out chiodos if you like them, similar music style.

and yeah that line hit me because the song came on when i was just about to give up! crazy, huh?
  • ok, I'm officially obsessed. This is my fourth time listening to the song. I loove the lyrics! I'm a sucker for deep, creative lyrics why did I not know about this band before? you'd think I lived in a cave.lol
  • haha no they aren't that well known. what are some of your other favorite bands? i might have some more to suggest.

also, thanks to everyone else for the song recommendations! i will def be downloading these for my new running mix.
  • Ahh the bands that are not well known are usually really good lol

I love Eisley and The Beatles and some others too but I just worked out and am sweaty and should get off and go shower before I stink up the whole house lol.
  • Here is my running playlist:

Sealion - Feist
    I need to wake up - From an Inconvenient Truth, Melissa Etheridge
    Just Stand Up! - Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige, Beyonce Knowles, Ashanti, Keyshia Cole, Ciara, Miley Cyrus, Fergie, Rihanna, Leona Lewis, Natasha Bedingfield, Sheryl Crow, Melissa Etheridge, LeAnn Rimes and Carrie Underwood
    You can't stop the beat - Hairspray
    You Gotta Be - Desiree
    Keep on moving - Five
    Search for the Hero - M People
    We Belong -Pat Benatar
    Can't Touch This - MC Hammer
    Proud - Heather Small (the biggest loser song!)
    Defying Gravity - From 'Wicked', Idina Menzel
    Lose Yourself- Eminem
    Stand Up - The Feelers

Completely different, mostly, from the regular music I listen to, and a lot cheesier! But this music really motivates me.
  • ahh i love idina menzel.
  • it's your life- Francesca Battistelli
  • Remember the Name - Fort Minor
  • Quote: it's your life- Francesca Battistelli

I love Francesca Battistelli! I have her Paper Heart album... it makes me smile.

As for me, I do not run, but I do walk with an mp3 player... here are some of my pumping up songs...

No Doubt- The Climb (not the Miley Cyrus version... this is on the Tragic Kingdom album)
    No Doubt- Just A Girl
    Spice Girls- Wannabe
    Madonna- Express Yourself
    Madonna- Vogue
    toby mac- Boomin' (And the whole Portable Sounds album, to be honest... I need to get it in mp3 format though)
    Switchfoot- Dare You to Move
    Switchfoot- This is Your Life
    Switchfoot- More Than Fine
    Newsboys- I am Free
    Newsboys- Shine
    Fleetwood Mac- Don't Stop

And lately, Green Day- Know Your Enemy (I am totally digging that song)

Yes, I know there's a lot of Christian music in my collection... my ex-fiance worked at a Christian bookstore for awhile and I went there often.