Will a workout cause your weight to go up the next day?

• I worked out 6 of 7 days this week. I even tracked my calories so I know I was in the 'zone'. I've been trying to break a stalemate so I kicked into high gear this week.

Anyway, the one day I didn't work out, my weight was 192.6 the following morning (yesterday morning). I had a reasonable day yesterday then did a tough 55 minute workout pushing my heartrate to the upper limit for at least 1/2 of the workout- I don't just coast along when I work out, I push myself hard.

This morning my weight jumped up to 193.4. Now, I know weight is variable and all that but I'm just wondering if there is some sort of fluid buildup or something that happens in your body after a hard workout that will make you appear to weigh more?

I still had a 1 lb. loss for the week even with the number jump so I'm not mad or discouraged or anything, mostly just curious. Does anyone know?
  • That happens to me often.
  • Yes.
  • It happened to me when I first started working out and again when I increased the amount/intensity of my workouts.

It made me crazy both times even though I knew that was the problem.
  • Yes, it will. Your muscles retain water to repair themselves after exercise. I retain water, often for a week or two, after any changes to my exercise routine or adding something new. Sometimes as much as 4 pounds of it...
  • Gosh, how discouraging. But we have to do it! To get the best weight loss results
  • Workouts, salty meals, sometimes carby meals or sweets, can make you retain - might be the next day, might be 3 days later. Might be 5 pounds, might be 1/2 pound. Might last a day, might last a week. Everyone's different. Me, I would go stark raving mad if I had to find a reason for every 1 pound bump and loss. I see that much variation a lot more often than I don't.
  • Yup, part of it is your muscles holding onto water to repair any damage and so on. So drink lots of water and make sure to stay hydrated during your workouts