What Goes Into Your Oatmeal?

You're on Page 1 of 6
Go to
  • I adore oatmeal and it never gets eaten plain around here, I'm looking for some more ideas on how to have it. Today I made the Steel Cut Oats for the first time (it was tasty but I'm not sure if it was really worth all the effort and time) then added in diced granny smith apple, a tbsp of chunky natural peanut butter and a squirt of honey, it was SO delicious! I also have the banana bread flavor instant oatmeal which I like to add sliced banana and a spoonfull of peanut butter to (however the instant flavored oatmeals are a little too sweet for my preference).

So what's your favorite way to have oatmeal?
  • Almond butter and Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • I have oatmeal for breakfast every morning!
    I usually just put in/on my oatmeal whatever I have on hand, or things I need to get rid of. I always put in some healthy fat and protein. Sometimes I also try to get in a serving of fruit by putting berries in. Here are some things I love:
    - ground flax seed - 1 tbsp almost every morning!
    - almonds, walnuts, pecans
    - 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
    - raisins
    - berries
    - granola
    - milk
    - honey
    - cinnamon
    - smash up an overripe banana and mix in
    - cereal

If you love eating oatmeal for breakfast, you should take a look at katheats.com. Its a food blog by a woman who eats oatmeal every morning and she always has something delicious! I've gotten lots of ideas from her.
  • I usually put fresh strawberries in my oatmeal and its delicious!
  • I eat hot cereal almost every morning (alternating between oatmeal, 10 grain, and oat bran). I guess mine is boring since it's the same every day. I add:

- a tsp finely chopped nuts
    - small amount of raisins
    - squirt of honey
    - big sprinkle of cinnamon

I'm going to have to get more adventurous after reading this thread -- especially since I bought almond butter yesterday and haven't tried any yet!
  • Lately I'm making it muesli style, soaked but uncooked, using a multi-grain mix:

mixed grains, vanilla soymilk, Greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, some green apple, walnuts, cranberries
  • Ive been mixing in the Yoplait Light Cinnamon Roll yogurt (1/2 container) and some real cinnamon YUM-O

Ive also used the Cherry Cobbler one YUM!! The yogurts are 100 calories per serving so 50 if you use 1/2 and 5 g of protein per container.

If I dont feel like having yogurt Ill add in strawberries. Im not a big fan of plain strawberries or plain oats so its a win win.
  • Blueberry fan here!
  • Mmmm...almond butter in oatmeal sounds sooo good.

Julie, I like your muesli-style oatmeal concoction too...sounds delicious!

I had oatmeal today--organic instant, plain, because I can't stand sugary oatmeal/cereal. I added some frozen blueberries and voila! Yummy breakfast. I usually add 2 tbsp. of ground flaxmeal as well but I am currently out of it.
  • Love my oatmeal and eat it just plain lots of times. Favored additions are broken walnuts, raisins, other dried fruit, pumpkin seeds, blueberries or other berries. I sometimes add a squirt of honey or a bit of real maple syrup. Not too often with the sweetner, because I don't want to get too used to sweet cereal.

I am not sure I think it is worth the extra effort to use the steel cut oats either. I like it, but when anything becomes too much trouble, I am apt to not do it.
  • FF Cool Whip! It's sweet and creamy and low in calories!
  • Brown sugar, bananas, and raisins.
  • Sugar Free Almond Roca torani syrup and unsweetened almond breeze

You can make a batch of the oats and have it all week. heck I've even frozen it before. It was fine when I defrosted.. a little softer maybe but not awful at all
  • I never thought of putting in nuts! (which sounds really stupid since one of my oatmeal staples is to add in peanut butter, duh!) I think I'll pick up some chopped pecans (my favorite) and try that with the apple in tomorrow's batch!
  • One of my favorites when I was on an oatmeal kick was having it with some ff half and half, craisins, and sliced almonds.

I also will do vanilla protein powder and a banana, banana/pecan/SF pancake syrup, raisins/pecans/cinnamon/splenda...