Wish me luck...

• I'm going to RUN on the treadmill tonight. I'm not holding my breath, though. I'm pretty out of shape and I could barely stand WALKING two miles last night. I'll try to run as much as I can, walk, and then run again.

Any tips?!
  • I suggest starting by jogging, not full-out running. And you could jog for a couple of minutes, then walk briskly, then jog for a while, then walk briskly again. It'll be less stressful on your body and you'll probably end up spending more time on the treadmill than you thought you'd be able to. That was my experience two years ago when I started running (why I ever stopped, I do not know). Good luck!
  • i'm with crafty kath! you should push yourself, but not too hard. try to do intervals - it's great cardio and will build your endurance. when i started running, i would jog 2, walk 1, etc. within a few weeks i was jogging 10, walking 2. a few weeks later and i could jog a full 30.

now don't get any ideas - this was 2 yrs ago and now can barely jog 5!
  • when I first started running, I walked a while to get wamred up then ran for about 10 minutes, then walked to cool down. Then kept increasing my minutes.

Why 10 minutes? Because that's how far I could run. So I'd say just run till you can't any more - then walk to cool down May it be 3 minutes, may it be 10 - you have to start somewhere. And from there - you can move on up!
  • Thanks ladies. I think I will start off jogging. My body (and knees) aren't up for full-out running yet. I can't wait to get there, though!!
  • I started jogging too, i could only jog for the length of one song, then i would walk for one, then jog for one etc. Start small and build yourself up
  • Thanks ladies. Went to the gym tonight and the machines were off. I think the circuit (or whatever) was blown. It's not a "real" gym - just the one at the apts but it has a bunch of machines.

I literally want to cry.
  • aw dont cry! Theres always next time, its not your fault the fuse was blown
  • Aw! Well good luck! I've tried running so many times, but my knees and shins just cannot handle it, which is why I'm stuck on the spin bike or the elliptical. I'm very jealous!