I slipped up, and now i feel awful..

• so for the first time in a little over a week, I went over my calorie limit by like 400..im really upset with myself and I feel absolutely awful. I feel so guilty and shameful and I hate this feeling..I feel like I am going to gain everything back, like I lost control..:-(..have you guys ever slipped up? did it horribly affect your losing?

idk, i feel so defeated now
  • I slipped up this weekend as well. And trust me, it was much more than 400 calories. I have come to terms with myself that slip ups will happen. With starting a whole new lifestyle, you would have to be a saint to not fall off the wagon a few times. I've found that the best thing to do is get right back on track. Track your slip ups and find a pattern. Is there a trigger food that causes you to go on binges? Is there a social setting that causes you to make unhealthy choices?
    In the grand picture of things, 400 calories is not a lot. Besides, you went over a week without going over your calorie limit- I think that's amazing! You can do this, just pick yourself back up and get back on track!
  • Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't gain it all one day, and you won't lose it all one day, so tomorrow you get up and it's a new day. A few hundred extra calories in one day will not keep you from reaching your weight loss goal, but feeling bad about it will. Forgive yourself, and move on!
  • every slips. Its normal and just means you are human. You just do better the next day. 400 is not bad at all for a 1 day slip. What was your total calories for the day? Whats your daily calorie goal?
  • this is a lifelong change of habits. there are always going to be times when we do things against our better interest. it's part of being human.

what you can do now is go back over what happened, figure out why it happened and think about you can change your behaviour so it doesn't happen next time.

and please please please - forgive yourself.

i worked through a book by karen koenig called "the food and feelings workbook". it was an excellent excellent experience, and i would highly recommend it if you have $20 in your book budget.

isolde
  • I slip up every weekend. It usually takes until Wednesday to start to where I am losing again. I lose about a pound to a half pound a week.
  • Oh my.I slip, slide and fall......often!!
  • I don't think there are more than 5 people on this site who have never slipped up. The difference between those who succeed and those who don't is whether or not you pick yourself back up and start again. Those who don't succeed in lifestyle change are the ones who allow a slip to become an excuse to quit.
    So pick yourself up, girl! Forgive yourself and get back at it.
    Kira
  • Who doesn't slip??

Don't let it defeat you. The key to success is how you react after a slip. Get back up, on plan and let it go. Don't dwell and spiral downwards.

It's OK. It happens!!
  • Thank you so much for all of your encouragement, i really do feel more assured now. I just hated that I let myself lose control like that but I realize that I am gonna make mistakes. Thank you once again.
    To willow: I had 2200 calories, my calorie limit is 1800..I weigh quite alot so as I lose weight, I will lower my daily limit.
  • Oh, yeah, I've NEVER slipped up...
    HA!

Yeah, this happens to everyone, and kiramira is right -- what matters is how you react! Pick yourself up and move onward and downward!
  • No, never slipped up here either..

ROFL!
  • Out of curiosity, what did you eat for the 400 calories?
  • My BF and I are doing this together. We're on the Optifast intensive stage, have only been on it a week so far.

We haven't slipped up YET but we have come very close. I know it's going to happen. I also know I'm going to feel very guilty and probably be in a similar situation to the OP, but there is some great advice here. I'm going to remember this for when we slip up - we're only human!
  • to loribell:
    well dinner was the largest mistake..i made tortellini for my bf, and I mistaked the serving size..however, the tortellini WOULD have been fine actually, and I would have stayed within limit but I had a snack fest earlier today that I didnt really need (yogurt=140 and cereal w/milk=300) :-(..i guess I learned though that I didnt need those snacks earlier, which i guess is a good thing, and a reminder next time I feel like eating when it isnt necessary