Can't find non fat refried beans ...

• I'm having a hard time finding the NF refried beans in a can. I went to Trader Joe's and found some low fat beans that are 110 cals/serving and 0.5 g fat ... will these work?
  • Those should be fine. Walmart has FF refried beans and Old El Paso makes one. My local grocery store has their store name brand too.
  • I am in San Jose, too and I can find Rosarita fat free refried beans, you should be able to find them at Lucky or Safeway. Remember that while Trader Joe's is a great store, they do not carry nationally advertised brands.
  • Hmmm ... i shop at safeway and wasn't able to find them. I'll have to look again. Thank you
  • You can also make your own, http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153326
  • Chicks, you don't have to buy Fat Free refried beans. "Vegetarian" works just as well. What you're trying to avoid in refried beans is any possible lard, which is a bad fat. Since lard is an animal product, it's not in vegetarian beans.
  • I just rinse and drain a can of kidney beans and throw them into the food processor with onion and the spices from Cyndi's crockpot recipe. (That recipe is cheap and excellent, by the way, and freezes just fine! Sure is cheaper even than using canned.)
  • Non Fat refried beans
    Quote: Hmmm ... i shop at safeway and wasn't able to find them. I'll have to look again. Thank you
    Look in the Mexican food section at the store.
  • Quote: I am in San Jose, too and I can find Rosarita fat free refried beans, you should be able to find them at Lucky or Safeway. Remember that while Trader Joe's is a great store, they do not carry nationally advertised brands.
    i bought vegetarian refried pinto beans at trader joes. they have .5g fat per 1/2 cup serving.