Black Bean Tacos W/feta

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I saw this in the Food section of our paper today. Looks good to me, thought I would pass it on to my friends

CRISPY BLACK BEAN TACOS WITH FETA AND CABBAGE SLAW

One 15-ounce can black beans, drained

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

5 white or yellow corn tortillas

1 tablespoon lime juice

5 teaspoons olive oil, divided

2 cups coleslaw mix

2 scallions, chopped

1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Ground black pepper, to taste

Hot sauce, to taste

1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

In small bowl, combine beans, cumin and salt. Use a fork to partly mash beans. Divide mixture among the tortillas, spreading it evenly over 1 side of each. Set aside.

In medium bowl, combine the lime juice and 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Add coleslaw mix, scallions and cilantro, then toss well. Season with pepper and hot sauce. Set aside.

In a large skillet over medium-high, heat the remaining 3 teaspoons of olive oil. Add the tortillas in a single layer, bean side up, in batches if necessary, and cook for 1 minute.

Fold the tacos in half, then cook for about another minute per side, or until golden brown.

Fill each taco with a quarter of the coleslaw mixture and the feta cheese. If desired, drizzle with additional hot sauce. Serves 5.

---- Adapted from Bon Appetit magazine (February 2009)
  • Yum! That looks good, EZ. Anything with cumin and cilantro is an easy sell for me. Thanks for passing it on!
  • OMG...that sounds DEELISH...now why would you have to post this when I am this hungry..wish you closer so you could bring me some!
  • Quote: Yum! That looks good, EZ. Anything with cumin and cilantro is an easy sell for me. Thanks for passing it on!
    yup!
  • Well gals, Angie made this for dinner tonight just like the recipe says...it's a keeper! We both enjoyed them and she said they were easy to make.
  • Those sound awesome. I'll have to give them a try.
  • So good! I made them tonight--and we loved them! I tried to limit the sodium a little--didn't add salt and replaced the hot sauce with fresh jalapeno. Also added tomato in the black beans. They were excellent and easy to make--will definitely enjoy them again in the future.
  • I made them tonight and they were AWESOME! The only change I made was using Amy's Refried Black Beans instead of plain canned black beans because that was all I had on hand. Oh, and I cut it down to make 2 tacos since they were fast and I didn't think that they would be good leftover. I'll definitely be making them again tomorrow night with some of the leftover refried beans!
  • I am glad you are liking them TEAM! I like the idea of adding tomatoes too! Thanks, Riverite... and, I will say that Angie and I don't use hot sauce...mild for us...and we add to our individual tacos. refried beans would be fine too....thanks Lindsey.
  • I cut that recipe out too, and my family went crazy! Since I am dieting, though, I didn't fry mine - just left the tortilla soft - still amazing!
  • Great recipe! I am adding Rotel Chile Tomatoes to mine, and using FF feta and WW tortillas
  • Quote: I cut that recipe out too, and my family went crazy! Since I am dieting, though, I didn't fry mine - just left the tortilla soft - still amazing!
    Thanks for mentioning that...I forgot to. Angie and I had 1 fried and the others soft, just warmed up on the grill.

Quote: Great recipe! I am adding Rotel Chile Tomatoes to mine, and using FF feta and WW tortillas
    I just might try that Scooter...I have Rotel here and our vicar and his wife are coming over this Friday...we will have the bean tacos and carnitas
  • Our vicar, from church, and his wife, my brother and sil came over for dinner last night. One of the choices was the black bean tacos. We warmed up the corn tortillas in the skillet with a little pam and kept warm, we didn't fry any of them this time. We added tomatoes and rotel tomatoes for garnishments as you gals have suggested. Everyone enjoyed them.
  • These were great.A big hit for the whole family.Thanks!
  • You are welcome ~ I am glad you all are enjoying them as much as we have...a nice change of pace....for us anyway.