Hair Maintanence for women of color

You're on Page 5 of 6
Go to
  • NonaB - yes I am just have been so busy!

Well girls I have a hair appt in a week and half for weave. I generally hate them because it is itches and what not But i run like 15 miles a week...i need some time of solution.

Nisha and TBG - I am going to trying washing hten soaking with the co**** soak. It sounds healthy. I am all about healthy hair which I had strapping my hair down. Plus this is my last summer of short hair...I will be growing it back out!
  • LOL. I broke down and got a sew-in weave last week. They definitely help with the maintenance/exercise issue...
  • I was thinking about this last night. Is there anybody who likes to wear their hair natural and wants to try/likes and already uses the Curl's line? I have an 8oz jar of Whipped Cream you can have if you want it. It's for 3c-4abc type hair, but this head of hair was still too much for it. Nothing but straight oil is enough to moisturize and keep my mop under control.
  • I finally got my hair chopped off last week. This is the shortest it's ever been and it's kinda cool. I had her cut off as much damage as possible then I flat ironed it. I'm going to deep condition and press it this weekend. If I could just get the hang of the damn wrapping, it would be straight!
  • Quote: It's troubling, but that is the reality for many of us. And it's a shame that in 2009, I'm still judged by my hair - and not by my skill.

What I was told by my peers (off the record, of course) is that my hairstyle could affect my chance of being promoted. I heard a lot about "the company's image", "perception", "being conservative" and all that good stuff.

In this day and time, you'd think that being promoted is based on skills and talent, and not appearances - but that's not always the case.
    i'm a little late to the party here, and i know that it's probably really easy for me to say since i've never had this issue, but this honestly smacks to me as something far more insidious than just implicit racism. i would think that in a city like atlanta, a professional woman of color would be able to wear her hair natural and carry her head high as a matter of pride in herself, her hair, her beauty, and her heritage. i don't want you to get into trouble and often times these situations are so tricky when you certainly don't want to be labeled a "troublemaker" or come across as confrontational, but it really makes me want to ask your employer just why it is that their conception of "conservative" and exuding a professional "company image" is necessarily and exclusively synonymous with a hair texture and style that can only be achieved through harsh chemicals and a lot of time, money, and effort and, more importantly, evolved as a way of emulating caucasian hair in a culture that only privileged white notions of beauty. bulls*** if you ask me. we don't have to live in that world anymore.
    **end rant**
    sorry.
  • Quote: i'm a little late to the party here, and i know that it's probably really easy for me to say since i've never had this issue, but this honestly smacks to me as something far more insidious than just implicit racism. i would think that in a city like atlanta, a professional woman of color would be able to wear her hair natural and carry her head high as a matter of pride in herself, her hair, her beauty, and her heritage. i don't want you to get into trouble and often times these situations are so tricky when you certainly don't want to be labeled a "troublemaker" or come across as confrontational, but it really makes me want to ask your employer just why it is that their conception of "conservative" and exuding a professional "company image" is necessarily and exclusively synonymous with a hair texture and style that can only be achieved through harsh chemicals and a lot of time, money, and effort and, more importantly, evolved as a way of emulating caucasian hair in a culture that only privileged white notions of beauty. bulls*** if you ask me. we don't have to live in that world anymore.
    **end rant**
    sorry.
    The sad part about the whole situation is that most of the criticism comes from other people of color.
  • What is the Curls Line. Is that something you can use for hair that is relaxed every 6 months?
  • It's mostly if you want to wear it natural, but you could definitely use it as a moisturizer too. Defines the curls, keeps the frizzies away and moisturizes... except for my hair apparently. LoL.
  • nisha - i will try to google it and see if i can use it. i plan to wear my hair natural this summer since i am growing it out and dont trust any new hairdressers... i plan to make the 3.5 hr roadtrip to stl to get my hair colored every 6 weeks now that i have this blonde dye. i have had more than one instance where someone chopped my hair off due to 1) ignorance or 2) jealousy! its growing pretty fast and i cant wait to see where it will be at the end of the summer
  • Cake, what type of weave are you getting? I love having micro braids! I just hate taking them down cause it can take 2-3 days if you're not consistently doing it or don't have help with them.
  • @TBG- Do not relax your hair! I have a White friend who had hair like you described and she put a mild, so-called "kiddie relaxer" in her hair and it screwed her hair up. Her hair is so thin now that you can see her scalp. It's not worth it.
  • Quote: Cool thread ! Has anyone used the mixed chicks products, if so do they work? Does anyone take hair vitamins? I've heard about using coconut oil for cooking but never thought about putting it on my hair before! I'm going to have to try that sometime...
    i bought some miss jessie's curly pudding for my hair and received a free sample of MIXED CHICKS leave in conditioner.

it made my hair feel AH-MAZING! it is really moisturizing and just awesome! i put my product in and wore my hair curly and my curls were much more defined and it feels so soft. the next day i just re wet my hair to reactivate the product and my hair looked just as good as the first day...actually better! i loved it and plan to buy a bottle this week.

the beauty supply is black owned and they told me everyone who gets a sample comes and buys the whole line. he wasnt lying i will be purchasing it all.

ALSO
    if u ladies are trying to wear yr hair in a curly or natural style. check out www.missjessies.com they have some twist out and other techniques with video and instructions and of course product suggestions. i am doing the twist out for my miami trip.
  • Bjeweled, thanks for sharing the link to the site. Does the product curl hair that is relaxed, or do you have to have a curly texture already?
  • my hair is curly but on the website they have FAQ's about using the pudding on relaxed hair and said you could roller set with rods and use the pudding and it would work well. they also have pdf files showing how to coil straight hair and all of their techniques. they also have video.
  • Thanks. I'm going to look at the site more extensive. I actually discovered (through their site) several places in Chicago where I can find their products.