Quick Question

• I just got my starter kit in the mail and was reading through the food list book and was just wondering two things

(1) is the foods with the little diamond shape beside them the filling foods?

(2) why do some foods listed have their point value then right beside it in brackets there is another number, what does this mean?

Thanks !!
  • Yes, the diamond does indicate a filling food.
    The bracket is telling you the "set point" value for that food.
    Set points are for when you want to eat more of that particular food... usually isn't a larger portion, but you're just supposed to eat the food until you feel satisfied, you don't have to measure the portion, and then you count that food as whatever the bracket says for points.
    Set points are kind of confusing, and I don't know anyone at my meeting who ever uses them, but they are a good option when you want to eat a little more of something without measuring it. I'll warn you that set points doesn't mean you can eat to your hearts content. You can't go overboard with the portions and still expect to lose.
  • I'm fairly new to WW, but my understanding of set points is that they're for use in situations where you really can't measure: parties, restaurants, etc., rather than when you want to eat more. I'd say when I want to eat more is when I need to measure most!

You're supposed to eat a reasonable portion of the food, eat mindfully, and stop eating when you feel full. The set points are higher than the points for a measured serving of the item. The idea is compromise - for the flexibility of being able to eat away from home and enjoy social events, you pay a slightly higher points value.
  • Never eat until you are full. You are to stop eating when you are satisfied when using the set points.
  • Yes, I'm sorry - still getting used to the vocabulary.
  • Thank you for the posts. I have lerned something here!