flourless birthday cake (NOT chocolate or cocoa!)

• I'm going mad searching this on google, all the flourless cakes are chocolate cakes and I don't want chocolate!!

Ok, I'm on the paleo diet, that means no flour, grains and potatoes (almond, pecan and walnut flour allowed), no sugar and artificial sweeteners (honey and maple syrup allowed) and no dairy (at all). All fruit and vegs, dry or fresh is allowed. As well as all meat and fish (but that's a birthday cake, lol!
    I can modify a recipe, but not if chocolate is the main ingredient!! Well, if anybody has an idea just let me know, my birthday comes this Saturday.
  • I think the reason they're mostly chocolate, is that flourless cakes generally need an overpowering flavor to hide the fact that there is no flour in the cake. Many are "lava cake" type recipes, and while chocolate lends itself to that texture, most flavors do not.

Try Googling "low carb cake recipes" - chocolate and cheesecakes seem to be most popular. Here's just the first link I found.

http://www.lowcarb-recipes.net/recipes/Dessert/Cake/
  • This one sounded good to me

Classic Almond Flour Pound Cake
    12 servings

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened at room temperature
    1/2 cup full fat cream cheese

1 cup Splenda
    5 eggs, at room temperature
    2 cups almond flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon lemon extract
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream butter, cream cheese and Splenda well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Mix almond flour with baking powder and add egg to mixture a little at a time while beating. Add lemon and vanilla extracts. Pour into greased 9"-10" Springform pan, ring pan, (or 9" round cake pan) and bake at 350°F for 50-55 minutes.

You can change flavors for this cake by using different extract flavors and even food color if you like!
  • Maybe you could give this a try-
    I have had great luck with using oranges and creating moist heavenly cakes. The link I got it from is at the bottom of the page, and while it calls for sugar, you could substitute with splenda- though I am not sure about honey or maple sugar (experimentation is needed.) I would through in blueberries as well-

Flourless Orange Cake
    Yields 1 9-1/2 or 10-inch cake

This recipe was sent to me by my good friend Tina Davis, who lives in Jerusalem. Tina’s a great cook, and a fabulous cake baker. Her recipe calls for a choice of 2 thin-skinned oranges, or 4-5 clementines, 350 g kumquats or 3 lemons. I made the cake the first time using Meyer lemons. It was good, but when I made it with oranges, I thought it was a lot better. It’s heavenly.

2 medium-size, thin-skinned oranges, preferably seedless

1 1/2 cups ground almonds

6 eggs

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Scrub the fruit well. Place in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer for 2 hours, checking every once in a while to make sure the water hasn’t boiled off too much. Drain and when cool enough to handle, cut the fruit in half carefully, and remove all of the seeds (otherwise the cake will be bitter).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour, or line with parchment, a 9-1/2- or 10-inch springform pan. Use matzo meal instead of flour if you are baking for Passover.

Put the fruit, skin and all, in a food processor fitted with the steel blade and puree. Measure out 1-1/4 cups.

Beat the eggs with the sugar and baking powder at medium-high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Add the ground almonds and mix well. Mix in the pulped orange at low speed, in two or three additions, beating for 20 seconds after each addition. Pour into the prepared pan.

Bake for 1 hour, until firm and a knife comes out clean. If the top begins to get too brown halfway through, cover loosely with foil.

http://http://www.martha-rose-shulma...less_cake.html
  • Hey!

Thanks so much to both! The second one is a little 'weird' but I love weird stuff and will surely try both. You know I can have strawberries jelly but that's not exactly what I want, I'd like an almost-normal-cake, at least normal-looking, lol. Yours sound amazing! Yum! Thanks to both!