brown rice pasta in Phase II

• Getting ready for a trip to Trader Joes. I brown rice pasta something I can add now that I am going on to Phase II. I like it much better than WW pasta. Thanks for your help...
    Teresa
  • Hi Teresa - Since brown rice is allowed on P2 I'd say brown rice pasta is probably okay too.
  • Brown rice pasta is fine for Phase 2. Read the ingredients on the package, though, to make sure that no white flour is added.
  • Hmmm... I hate to be a buzzkill guys, but the GFGC Guide says that brown rice pasta is a no-no. Of course, I've never entirely understood why it's not allowed, so maybe you could try it and see if it makes you gain/stall on the scale or makes you crave. If not, it's probably fine despite the book, IMO.

Have you tried shirataki noodles? Made from tofu and yam flour, they are good even on Ph 1 (though admittedly, they are not in the guide one way or another so I can't say that as definitively).
  • Betsi, I checked out the ingredients on a package of organic brown rice pasta at the supermarket (I can't remember the brand), and the only ingredients were brown rice flour and water, which I would think are OK? I could be wrong, but I thought brown rice flour was just ground brown rice?

This is interesting enough to find more information about it.

On the other hand, I would save the shiratake noodles for Phase 2, since they contain yam flour, and yams aren't allowed in Phase 1.
  • Yeah, I'm no expert, I just wanted to mention what it says in the book. Dr. A seems to think brown rice pasta isn't ok, but maybe when it was published the only kind on the market had icky stuff in it too? I dunno.

Sorry about the shiratake noodles, I've heard other people say they are fine for Ph 1 and I didn't have a problem the one time I had them so far. I suspect they are more tofu than yam.

Sorry to be so clueless.
  • Betsi, you're not clueless! It's a great suggestion for Phase 2. It's hard sometimes to figure all this out...some of the information is conflicting and sometimes it doesn't make sense (like not allowing brown rice pasta). I wish there were some way to ask Dr. A directly sometimes!
  • I think a big part of that is maybe because its made out of a "flour" and not as hard for your body to break down? I remember when I thought I was awesome for making dumplings out of garbanzo flour on p1 and found out that they were not p1 compliant because they came from a "flour" state...
  • I've been trying to find out more information about the pasta, but I can't find anything concrete.
    My suggestion would be to go ahead and eat it, and if it doesn't affect your cravings, then you know it works for you.
  • Hey Rikki, this is off the original topic, but do you have a recipe for those garbanzo flour dumplings? I'm ready to shift to Ph2 (fingers crossed!) and I've been wishing I had a way to make dumplings. Or is the flour too processed even for Ph 2?
  • Hi hi!

I've ONLY used brown rice pasta. I only buy the Trader Joe's kind that had brown rice and water (I believe) as the ingredients. I don't like the consistency of whole wheat pasta. Weird but true.
  • Betsi- I usually just take 1 egg and mix about 1/3c garbanzo flour with some salt and onion or garlic powder I just drop them into whatever soups I am having... I use bobs red mill and sometimes add a pinch of baking powder to them to fluff em up
  • Rikki have you done anything else with the garbanzo flour? they have that and soy flour at my local purveyor of overpriced food and I'm curious to try them
  • I haven't used soy flour at all and the garbanzo I have mostly used to make dumplings... honestly, I had forgotten about it in the cupboard till a couple days ago- and I can't remember what all I used it for before! I think I made a pizza crust from it once, but it wasn't that great, maybe if you used a combo with ww flour or something it would be better... I am sure there are tons of recipes on the web tho!