What are you reading-April 2009

You're on Page 1 of 7
Go to
  • Another month is here ladies!

Let us all know what you are reading. I started Multiple Blessings last night from Kate Gossling ( from the show Jon and Kate plus 8 )
  • Currently reading Snow Falling on Cedars and as soon as I'm done with that, I'll start Long Lost.
  • Just finished "Labyrinth" by Kate Moss. I thoought it was an ok. read, but not a great one.
    Started "Friday nights" By Joanne Trollope. Like it fine so far.
  • I am reading Food Matters by Mark Bittman. It just makes me furious to see what special interests groups have done to the American public. I always liked to think we live in a civilized society, but after the "financial experts" were caught pillaging and looting, it should be no surprise that special interest groups have manipulated nutritional info to the detriment of the American people.
  • Trying to get thru the Time Traveler's Wife...it's not bad, just everytime I start to read more I get sleepy, lol.
  • I'm reading Peony in Love by Lisa See. See also wrote Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, which I enjoyed. Peony was harder to get into at first and the story is definitely told from an unconventional narrator, but I'm digging it now. It won't be one of my favorites, however, I think. I'm planning a library trip tomorrow.

Still waiting for more Goodreads friends -- come on, it's fun!
  • I am reading 24-Karat Kids at the moment. So far so good. Chick Lit, of course. But not too heavy on the usual CL topics.

I have Multiple Blessings in my to read list. Let me know how you like it, BornToFly
  • I liked Snow Flower better than Peony.

I finished Food Matters which was awesome, if the subject wasn't a little infurating. I will probably buy this book when it comes out in paperbook. I'm continuing on my non fiction roll with Outliers.. I am enjoying it just as much as Tipping Point and Blink. Another one I will probably buy at some point.
  • I just started The Black Prince by Iris Murdoch, and I've been reading Tether's End by one of my favorite British mystery writers, Margery Allingham.
  • poetry
    I'm reading a chapbook of prose-poems called "Walter B.'s Extraordinary Cousin Arrives for a Visit & Other Tales" by a person named Sarah Orah Mark. It's published by Woodland Editions. Has anyone else read this one?

The book itself if a lovely object. I think it was letter-pressed, it has beautiful end-papers, and gorgeous creamy pages. It's incredibly well-designed and that, alone, caught my attention at first.

The poems in it are strange and evocative. Some of them are heartbreakingly bold, and others feel a bit like a puzzle. I tend to spend a long time reading books of poetry and chapbooks are especially meant to be savored, I think.

By the way, it's National Poetry Month.
  • Even at my ever-advancing middle age I'm a sucker for coming of age stories, and I loved this one I happened on at the library, called Stealing Heaven

http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Heave.../dp/0061122807

Super quick and compelling read if you happen to see it. I also have a soft spot for the celeb biog, loved Val B's, and Carrie Fisher's too!
  • Quote: Trying to get thru the Time Traveler's Wife...it's not bad, just everytime I start to read more I get sleepy, lol.
    I liked "The Time Traveler's Wife". I heard that Audrey Niffenegger's second novel ("Her Fearful Symmetry") will be released soon.

Incidentally, She has the coolest webpage I've ever seen.
  • I've been waiting for her follow up book so long, I hope it can live up to my expectations. I don't want her to Donna Tartt me! (loved Secret History, thought Little Friend was junk).
  • About to start Dearly Devoted Dexter. Love the series so I thought I'd give the books a try too!
  • i just finished unaccustomed earth by jhumpa lahiri. i highly recommend it.
    this week i started the mayor's tongue by nathaniel rich.