FOOD RECALL: Pistachios

• There is a recall alert on all products containing pistachios, so if you have bought them recently, beware!
  • Is NOTHING sacred!
  • Thanks Cottage - DP has several bags in the cabinet from our Trader Joe runs (that could take on a whole new meaning. sorry)
  • Cyndi - Cute play on words!

I shouldn't laugh, though, after what I've been through the past 2 weeks!
  • Lmao
  • My mom bought Pistachio Ice Cream for dad and bro.. Guess I'll have to throw that away.
  • I love pistachios.
  • Brian tried to convince me that since his were open bags that they must be safe. I told him we'd hang onto them until they come up with the detailed list of products that are affected.
  • Uh-oh, I babysat this weekend, and my niece and I had a strawberries and pistachios picnic. But we seem to be OK
  • http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/set...hios-possible/

Here's the details. It sounds like any bag of pistachios that aren't from this particular company would be safe - however, since they also sell in bulk to other comapnanies that make other products - pistachio products could be at risk - if in making the recipe the product isn't heated (cooking kills salmonella, so cookies would probably be safe - icecream possibly not - however freezing does slow the growth of salmonella.

If you're healthy without a frail immune system (infants, the elderly or anyone with immune disfunction or other health issues), salmonella often is more a risk of inconvenience than severe illness or death.

I'm not saying it's fun to have diarrhea, but at least with salmonella, if you're not in the potty witin 48 hours, your pistachios were fine or your immunity took care of the bacteria on it's own. If you do have symptoms of diahhrea or vomiting call your doctor or if severe go to the emergency room. Usually the biggest risk with salmonella and e.coli infections is dehydration.
  • Thanks, Kaplods. I love pistachios, but have had salmonella and am not willing to take chances. But you're right about heating killing the germs.

Too funny about Brian, Barb!

Cyndi and Linda, you are baaaaad!