How many people here hate cravings when trying to lose weight?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I find cravings so annoying!

I've had chocolate on the brain for the last couple of days... I haven't had the desire to have any chocolate since I last had some in October of last year.

But I figured, I might as well have a serving of dark bitter chocolate tonight and get the craving over with.

UGH!

Anyone else find cravings just the pits when trying to lose weight?

~ tea
  • Heck yeah! And it seems like if you try and ignore it for a few days it just won't go away. It is like nagging you until you give in to just a LITTLE bit!
  • The beauty (well, one of the beautiful things) about low-low carb is, no cravings. I haven't had a real craving (i.e., more than just a passing thought) for anything with carbs in 7 months. Life is good.
  • PPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAA!!
    I have pizza on the brain right now - not good healthy homemade pizza, but fattening greasy pizza! I know you have to give in to these sometimes before you can move on, but I know I will regret it so bad. Good luck with your cravings!
  • I have heard that if you are craving chocolate then you might be low in magnesium.
  • I just finished having 2 small squares of good dark chocolate, I was having a craving too. But now my craving has been satiated, and I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 squares.
  • When I'm not worrying about what I'm eating, I don't recognize cravings. I just eat what I want. But the moment I cut back and track what I want, suddenly I crave pasta with olive oil and garlic, chocolate, queen olives stuffed with almonds, and anything with cheese. I also crave arugula greens topped with sardines packed in olive oil and lemon juice. Fatty foods with strong flavors, basically.

Overeating healthy foods is still overeating, isn't it?

Georgia
  • Potato chips! I constantly grave them. I gave in a week ago and had a handful of the baked Lays, not the same thing. I crave the salt and the grease that is left in the bowl. So I just haven't allowed myself to by them. I refuse to even go down that isle in the grocery store.
  • When I have a craving (a REAL craving, not a passing thought!), I just try to work it into my calories for the day. Craving chocolate doesn't mean I have to eat a whole king-size bar. Craving pizza doesn't mean I have to eat the whole pie. Craving wine doesn't mean I need to finish the bottle. And usually a slice of pizza, a glass or two of wine, or a small piece of chocolate, if it's really what I want, can be worked into my calorie allocation without too much trouble.
  • Ice Cream!!!!!!! Damn Ice Cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ooooohhhhh they annoy me too! I tend to crave salt vs sugar, but it hasn't stopped me from eating sugary crap lately
    I LOVE Ruffles Plain chips...it's my main vice, but I've been good and haven't had any in well over a month. Instead...I gave into movie popcorn on the weekend...the next "best" thing....UGH!
  • Oh, yes - I hate the cravings. My weakness is the salt. I had a rough week with that last week - until I discovered (after 15 years of binge behavior) that viciously hot sauce/salsa can kill it with minimal damage. I'm still battling the desire for the salty chips, the whole jar of pickles, or yeah - straight salt ... but celery sticks with habanero salsa have become my uncomfortable comfort food. Much to my surprise - those hot peppers have a lot of nutritional benefit!
  • Ice cream and it will just get worse this summer. I was getting ice cream out for the kids and I did lick the spoon, what I realized is it was not as wonderful as I remembered and hope that will satisfy my craving for a little while.

I usually do not eat much salt, but Sunday my husband brought home McDonalds for the kids and all I could think about was french fries or at least licking the salt off of the fries.. Not sure why..but I resisted.
  • If I'm not around it I don't really crave it. However my issue is being out and seeing what other people are eating! Then of course I want what they are having!
  • Quote:
    How many people here hate cravings when trying to lose weight?
    Not me. I absolutely LOVE having cravings. Love, love, LOVE them.

Okay, sorry, but I couldn't resist. But honestly, I can't imagine anyone really enjoying having cravings for off-plan foods. They're strong and oh so annoying.

Luckily, when I gave up the stuff that I craved the most, the desire for them greatly diminished. And lo and behold, I now actually crave the healthy stuff. What an unbelievable miracle!! So craving the healthy stuff is not an issue for me.

Now, when I "crave" things, it's usually because I see them. More of a temptation then an actually craving. Like if I'm at someone's house or a party and I'm faced with tempting foods. More like a spoiled brat, little kid, rant, "I want it. I want it. I want it."

At that point, I rely heavily on "self-talk" as I have to remind myself that just because I want something, doesn't mean that I HAVE to have it. That absolutely nothing terrible will happen to me if I don't eat it. Just the opposite in fact. That I am an adult and that I eat responsibly, sensibly, mindfully and intelligently. I have self-talked my way out of many a sticky situation. Luckily, most of the times it works, other times - not asmuch.