3FC Garden Party-2009

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • I pulled my first radishes today...delicious on my salad for lunch!
  • Wow madalin I bet it was great!! Wish it hadnt been so wet here this spring I was really wanting to do radishes and lettuce. OH well we will have to buy those but hopefully everything else will produce great! After checking the long range weather forcast we decided to go ahead and plant. Spent hours planting and raking and using the ho. It feels so good to play in the dirt again. We are suppost to get lots of rain next week and it should help those little babies grow.
  • going to get my baby plants in containers today and i'll get my lettuce started today. Its a gorgeous day...great for planting. The seedling plants are getting so big they are almost outgrown their peat pots. Can't wait for fresh veggies.
  • well i spent about half the day making 3 self watering containers then planting many different things. Got seeds laid for lettuce, planted all my seedling plants. Feeling good, now just waiting for my plants to work their magic.
  • I saw blooms on my cherry tomato plants.I also am seeing the buds for my big boy tomatoes starting. Black birds are pulling up my seedlings as fast as I plant them. Any idea how to keep them away?? I have planted some of my squash plants 3 times.
    I forgot how much work in involved when you expand the size of a garden.I cant keep the grass out.Its a daily battle when its dry enough to get in the garden. We have gotten so much rain!
  • dgramie...you can always put some netting/mesh over the area until the seedlings take place..that would help keep the birds away.

My plants are doing well...they are growing...but no buds/flowers yet...i keep an eye on them every day. My basil is doing awesome..growing like a weed. We too have had lots of rain lately. I had to move some of the containers under cover to give them time to dry out some.
  • I have my first early girl tomato...less than a centimeter across for now, but it set nicely and is growing every day. I have bell peppers that definitely are about to flower, but haven't quite done so yet, and then smaller transplants still just focusing on growing leaves. The chard is getting bigger and bigger, and so are the non-early tomato varieties (We have 4 total varieties in this year). And my amish snap peas are flowering away, so it looks like I will get a crop out of them after all (wasn't sure, as we got a bit of a heat wave and the plants got a bit sad for a few days, but they've come back swinging).
  • Too many photos today to post here - I uploaded them to a Picasa album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mandalin...eat=directlink
  • Those are looking nice! way to go on keeping that stuff going, I know what a Davis heatwave feels like!
    By the way, have you ever tried eating the baby leafs on the beets? they are rather yummy in a salad.
  • my mater plants are getting big but no flowers yet. The squash have little buds so hopefully they will bloom soon. The lettuce has about 3 more weeks before its ready...but its looking good. I watch my garden every day in wait and anticipation of fresh veggies LOL
  • OK folks, it ain't all about the veggies ya know. Wanted to take this chance to show off my favorite roses.

This is Rainbow's End. It blooms then fades to a different color. Then, the next time it blooms, it's a whole new ball game. Just never know what you're gonna get as you can tell by the new one that's kinda peeking out from behind my butt.

This is Fire and Ice. Kinda matches my personality, eh.

• I love gardening pictures! You all should post more!!

The strawberries I planted last year & starting to produce fruit, as is my raspberry bush that has spread out quite a bit!!

I plan to plant my vegetables on Sunday! I bought entirely too many, so I'm still deciding which ones I must have!
  • Well i enjoyed my first salad made with my wonderful muscin lettuce (mixed field greens). It was yummie...here's some pics of garden. Our house is under construction, so i'm doing container gardening this year. The tomatoes have blooms and i've noted a very small cuke and squash starting. The sweater boxes were DYI to created to make a self watering containers which is working awesome since you see how happy my greens seem to be so far. I have planted some beans on the backside of the tomatoes to help place nitrogen back in the soil (w/o use of fertilizer). I also have marigolds planted alongside to help encourge good bugs that eat the bad bugs and haven't used pesiticides yet. The lettuce (sorry pic is sideway) is in various stages so i can have lettuce at differnt times.