Weight Loss After 30 (and near 40)

• Is it my imagination but does weight/fat loss become that much more challenging when you hit the second half of your 30's than in your first half?

In my first half of my 30's, I lost 30 pounds and although I wouldn't say it was effortless, it was a steady weight loss. Then in my mid-30's I went through a career change, decisions on grad school, and two state moves. So I got into the habit of eating badly and eating a lot of junk food and gained 25 of those back. Now I've settled down and I'm 38 and trying to lose that weight again. Actually, I've been "trying" for about 2 years now and very little has moved. It seems everything I try I only manage to maintain or gain (slowly, though).

I've only had some success in the past 5 weeks, but again, the scale isn't really showing it. I've been losing inches, though, and I'm happy with that. But it seems like it's going at a snail's pace as opposed to my early 30's. I'm really dreading turning 40!

Tam
  • YAY - I am not alone! I back in my 20's I could honsetly loose 5-10lbs in just a few weeks.....now I can't even loose 5!

I have decided I am done being chainded to the scale. I will workout daily - pushing my self to workout harder and longer each time, keep my calories in check and that is what is meant to be. I just cannot allow the lack of #'s lost on the scale get in my way.
  • I am still in my first half (33)and after reading this ~HOping I reach my goal and maintain before second half...TAMMAY & PNtueb I hope all goes well for ya'll GOODLUCK ~There is many people on here of every age that has got to there goals so NEVER GIVE UP AND KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!
  • I feel your pain.I am also 38 and can hardly lose a poung.years ago it was so much easier.I hear that menopause makes it even more difficult.So..I have vowed to lose this weight before 40 and then figure out how to maintain it thru menopause.
  • I am now 39 and so far it's not been too bad. I've lost a total of 18.6 since Jan. 15, so I'm losing it slowly but so far I am losing it.

However, I stick to plan pretty close and workout a minimum of 30 mins a day.

I know it's going to slow down soon (or so they tell me) so I dread Sunday weigh in every week, but I have lost 2 pants sizes so far and tell myself that as long as I look good I don't care what number the scale says
  • I haven't had any problems with steady weight loss as long as I stick to eating sensibly and working out.

Unfortunately, I do fall off the wagon from time to time and suffer set-backs because of it.

(P.s. I'm 36)
  • I'm 36, and I am definitely finding weight loss to be MUCH harder now than it was in my 20's and early 30's.
  • I'm 44 and I haven't noticed a difference in how fast or much weight I can lose when dieting. The only thing that I've noticed is the weight doesn't come off as fast in the same areas as it used to. My belly used to be the first thing that went......now its the last.
  • People do tend to lose weight more slowly as they age. For women, it's particularly difficult after menopause, so lose the weight now!

One contributing reason may be that people tend to lose muscle (replaced with fat) as they get older. Since muscle burns more calories even at rest than fat, people who let their body fat percentage rise as they get older will have more trouble losing weight.

But you don't have to lose muscle. If you weight train, you can build muscle even while restricting calories, and that is one of the best ways to speed up weight loss.
  • I'm turning 39 soon and can definitely tell it's more challenging for me to lose weight! Sucks!!!!
  • I think its because life gets in the way.. In our 20's its more about us..
    now most people in 30's have kids.. and kids come first, husband comes 2nd..
    work gets in the way.. too tired to cook a good dinner. easier to pick up junk..pizza, chinese..
    But just like anything.. if we keep trying. it will work..
    I am down 9 pounds. .but man oh man i had to work my butt off..
    Good luck!