PMS more severe with age

• I have a question for you 30 somethings.I have noticed that the older I get(Am 38), the more severe my PMS symptoms get.I have been so misreable for the last 3 days......bloated, crampy, irritable.When I was in my 20s I hardly knew it was about TOM.Do any of you have any suggestions for managing the symptoms other than advil???Thank you from me.......and my family.LOL
  • Mine got worse in my early 30's, but have gotten a whole lot better the last year since I changed my diet and exercised more. I'm 37.

I found an article somewhere about potassium and other nutrients in fruits and veggies helping with PMS symptoms. I make a fruit smoothie pretty much every day, so it very well could be true. I'll look to see if I can find the article...

I also exercise when I get all PMS crazy and the symptoms seem to subside.
  • I started having PMS that was so severe when I turned 30. I was starting to get something like an anxiety attack. I would have the rapid heart beat. I did read where blood sugar has a lot to do with that. Now that I have changed my diet, I haven't had one in two months.
  • I got severe symptoms too, but I contributed it to having babies and not being on the pill anymore. I dread TOM now.
  • I'm not sure that mine got worse, I've always been an emotional mess during PMS! But I've also been on the pill, which has helped a TON! I am on Yaz and it totally helps the physical and emotional symptoms before and during TOM.
  • I've always srtuggled with pms but my symptoms have definitely worsened. And I'm already on YAZ.

The link b/c high blood glucose and increased symptoms makes sense. When I started this lifestyle change I was much more diligent about watching sugars. (and I was not aware of increased pms)
    Now, in maintenance I have become very lax and prone to revert to sugar binges during pms. And I come pretty darn close to losing my mind.

food for thought
  • Quote: Mine got worse in my early 30's, but have gotten a whole lot better the last year since I changed my diet and exercised more. I'm 37.
    Ditto. Interestingly, my periods got better almost immediately (although the flow and pain were both still quite a bit worse than in my younger years). But my last period, wow, it was almost back to the way it was when I was young. I'm awaiting next month to see if that was a fluke or if it really has gotten even better.
  • I have had horrific periods ever since I started the first one back at age 14....so I have been on the pill to help, but PMS will still flare a little on the bad side every now and then(since I have gained all this weight), proper diet and exercise are supposed to help....so with the right BC pill and diet and exercise I am hoping to be normal again....I know they tell you not to eat salty foods and caffeine during those times, but I think its different for each woman.
  • I've just noticed I get more irritated when TOM comes around. My deal is that I've been getting two Aunt Flo's a month. No one has a great answer for it either...frustrating!!