MRC Male Counselors

• Do any of you have male counselors at your center? If yes, how do you feel about them weighing you in and talking to you about your personal issues? Do you feel like you share as much information as you would if it were a female? If you are constipated, having PMS, were depressed, etc, would it be easier to discuss that with a woman? Or on the flip side, does it motivate you to stick to the plan because you know a man is taking notice?

I am just curious as to other women's reactions to having a male help us with something as personal as our weight and all of the emotional baggage we carry along with it.
  • Quote: Do any of you have male counselors at your center? If yes, how do you feel about them weighing you in and talking to you about your personal issues? Do you feel like you share as much information as you would if it were a female? If you are constipated, having PMS, were depressed, etc, would it be easier to discuss that with a woman? Or on the flip side, does it motivate you to stick to the plan because you know a man is taking notice?

I am just curious as to other women's reactions to having a male help us with something as personal as our weight and all of the emotional baggage we carry along with it.
    sherryanncard,

My favorite counselor at our MRC center is a male, and I believe he is the most knowledgeable of all of the counselors on staff. He works with the stabilization and maintenance clients and is the one that took the ball and ran with it when I suggested having a maintenance support group. Now he conducts those sessions 2 X month.

There were several times I was near tears during my active time OP, and he "talked me down" from my tendancy to feel guilty and to overreact, with his common sense suggestions. While we do have other good MRC counselors, I've received more reinforcement and encouragement from him than from any of the other people on staff. I actually schedule an appointment with him when I feel like I need a bit more help (which in maintenance is a lot easier to do!).

I didn't have a lot of "issues" like those you named, so don't know how I would have felt talking to him about those. I always wear my bike shorts and a tank top under my suits from work for my WI, so do warn him that I'll be taking some of my clothes off . Last time I mentioned it, he told me some women have actually stripped down to underwear, but he seems to take it all in stride.
    Three cheers for Ruben

If you do go in for a WI and have "issues" you would feel more comfortable discussing with a female, go ahead and ask to visit with a woman. Or you can always give the center a call and speak to someone on the phone, which would be a lot less embarrassing overall.

Hope this helps.

Judy
    Gma to 4
  • we have a male at our center and no offense to anyone because i'm not trying to be offensive but he's flaming! a lot of the women i know are just as comfortable talking to a gay male as they are any female and i admit i have a friend who's on the fence and doesn't know which way he's going and i talk to him like he's one of my chick friends. i've never had the male counselor and actually i haven't seen in about a month or so so I wonder if he moved on. he was very energetic and perky like the other two that are my favorite up there.

there's one that i don't do anything but get it over with when i'm in there and if i never see her again i'll be HAPPY AS ****. she doesn't seem to realize or accept when i tell her that the ONLY thing keeping me there right now and eating this CRAP is the fact i've already paid for it and i just can't waste money!! she badgers me about exercise and i just wanna tell her honey i get more between the sheets heart pumping entire body muscle toning exercise in one week than you get in a month so it's not my exercise that's got me slowing down and i don't think i'd be able to increase my loss if i did more. if i get stuck somewhere i'll do more to get over the platuea but until then i'm gonna be lazy.

have y'all ever came across a counselor that just rubbed you the wrong way?
  • I agree with Judy, my sister recommended Rueben when I was having issues with a plateau and extremely moody and I couldn't stand myself. He gave me perspective and suggested I change the supplements I was taking and cut down on the number of enhancers I was taking. He is by far the best counselor I have spoken with!!
  • Quote: we have a male at our center and no offense to anyone because i'm not trying to be offensive but he's flaming! a lot of the women i know are just as comfortable talking to a gay male as they are any female and i admit i have a friend who's on the fence and doesn't know which way he's going and i talk to him like he's one of my chick friends. i've never had the male counselor and actually i haven't seen in about a month or so so I wonder if he moved on. he was very energetic and perky like the other two that are my favorite up there.

there's one that i don't do anything but get it over with when i'm in there and if i never see her again i'll be HAPPY AS ****. she doesn't seem to realize or accept when i tell her that the ONLY thing keeping me there right now and eating this CRAP is the fact i've already paid for it and i just can't waste money!! she badgers me about exercise and i just wanna tell her honey i get more between the sheets heart pumping entire body muscle toning exercise in one week than you get in a month so it's not my exercise that's got me slowing down and i don't think i'd be able to increase my loss if i did more. if i get stuck somewhere i'll do more to get over the platuea but until then i'm gonna be lazy.

have y'all ever came across a counselor that just rubbed you the wrong way?
    LOL...LOL...Huge LOL!! You go girl! P.S. that's a totally legitimate equivelant to other aerobic activities. Luckily, I haven't come across one like that yet - hopefully I won't b/c that is just so discouraging...
  • We have a male at our center, Gary, who is wonderful!!! He was on the program and lost 140lbs in a year. I learned so much from him. I feel comfortable talking to him because he has been there and can offer advice from a different perspective than the other counselors working there. he swears by the Corti Trim..so I am going to try it. Has anyone had any luck with it?