Curious! Anyone doing their OWN plan??

You're on Page 2 of 21
Go to
  • Hi Will!!! Glad you had a good time at the beach, that sounds HEAVENLY!!! I was in and out all day. Our block had a rummage sale so there was traffic all day through here. I cleaned my house, and threw the windows open and enjoyed the nice day. I'll be complaining soon when my hair is all damp and frizzy and it's 100 degrees. (The good thing is...who feels like eating in that kind of heat?? AND!!! I will get my water in for sure. I HATE water!)

Anyway....Hi Judy!!! Welcome! I laughed when I though of your Doctor seeing you come through the door. She probably panicked. I think they automatically think the best thing to do is put you on a strict diet. HELLO??? If I could follow a strict diet, I wouldn't BE in this shape!!!! Did I mention, that the All-You-Can-Eat Restaurant here has a restraining order out against me??

I agree with the grains and veggies. And I DO still have my sour cream and dressings and mayo...they are all just fat free now.

Well, I have a girlfriend coming in from out of town and staying with us unexpectantly this weekend. She will be here late tonight and then all day tomorrow and all day Monday. We have a surprise potluck dinner for an old family member tomorrow, which translates to DIET ****. So, I think I will toss some healthy snacks in my bag and a bottle of water, and I will graze on my own stuff. Then...she wants to cook out on Monday. We'll do hotdogs and hamburgers for the kids, maybe I can have my Boca Burger, but I was thinking about Ka-bobs for the adults with a nice bed of rice...I KNOW I can behave, but I can't wait to see their faces when I am buying baked chips and Wow chips and fat free dip and fat free hotdogs...LOL...they will all think they are in **** for sure.

Sunday is my free day, and I just refuse to spend it eating potluck made by 90 year old women who only know how to cook with lard. Ya know?

Anywho...
    It's SATURDAY ladies...let's enjoy it! I will poke in and out of here and see how everyone is doing!

Oh..today was my weekly weigh-in here in my bathroom. (BIG production, lots of excitement!!)

Down 3 more pounds!

Tiffany
    265/252/150
    Hasn't even been a month yet...so I KNOW this is working! Good for us!!
  • Hi Just Me!! Sorry, we must have been posting at the same time! Didn't mean to ignore you!!!

WELCOME!!! I think it's great to get a little group of us "independants" going.

I think all of us here have adapted some plan or another. I use a combination of Susan Powter and Body for Life. I watch calories and fat and try to exercise...I also think ALL of us have tried one plan or another and didn't stick with it. I think it's great that we are all smart enough to say..."Well, THAT didn't work for me, but I think I could use THIS and maybe THIS and make a plan that WILL work for me".

I also think (doing a lot of thinking this morning) that every single one of us could write a book on diets and nutrition. We all KNOW it...now we will be able to DO it!!

I didn't get too specific about my stats...but here goes. I am 5'10" which is good, and started this new lifestyle at 265 pounds. I was wearing size 22 pants and 24 tops cause the boobs found the fat too.

But....those days are OVER. By this time next year...(or maybe by June...) I will have lost around a 100 pounds and by God, next summer will be the summer of my dreams. No more sitting in the house afraid to be seen in shorts. I WILL wear sleeveless shirts, and I WILL have a bathing suit without a freaking skirt on it!!

Stick with me people...let's do this.
    The biggest thing I can say is...and everyone says it...if you have a bad day and you eat everything in the house...IT IS NOT OVER. Start again the next day. Big deal...EVERYONE has a bad day...just don't let it be a bad week, month, year, life....

Much love,
    Tiffany (who is not as cranky these days)
  • tiffany, you are doing great, and your posts are so uplifting.

i love all the tips and encouraging posts, i got back from the shore on sunday afternoon only to find out that my grahm was back in the hospital so i was there yesterday. and boy i hate missing reading everyones posts, now there are too many for me to respond to.

hello newbies, i am so happy more people are finding there way here, i loved reading your stories and ways you are changing your life and good to see some great sense of humor on here.

i did great friday and sat. and i didnt even get any french fries on the board walk that has to be a first for me, that is my food i am addicted to. and on the way home yesterday, my husband stopped an got one of those breakfast sanwhiches, ya know with egg, sausage and cheese. i wanted it so bad , it smelled so good, but i figured if i could just control myself for one hr and 20 min, that is how long it takes us to get home from the shore, i could make a lower fat version of it at home, and that is what i did. i was so proud of myself, that i controlled my appetite. now dinner was a different story, when i got home from visting my grahm, my mother in law was there with chinese food and cocktails. i wasnt so in control then.

so , it is monday, and i am ready to get in control again. have a great day to all. we can do this. oh and i love the comment about the boobs, mine are so big, i hate them, i want to lose weight, just in hopes that they will shrink, oh and then i guess i will complain about them sagging hope everyone has a great day.
  • Hello! I'm still hang'n in here doing my own thing. I had a pc problem, so haven't been around for a couple days.
    Tiffany, it sounds like you have a great outlook and I hope it rubs off on me!
    I guess since I'm going to play here, I should tell all....
    I'm 5'10, currently 195. Down from 201.5 a few weeks ago when I bought a new scale. I always thought I was overweight, thanks to our wonderful media. And, probably because my mother and sister are so petite. I passed up my mother's size in the 6th grade...I'm 35yrs old now. Looking back, I realize that other than prenancy weight I've actually only been over weight the last few years. What I wouldn't give to go back to the days when I "thought" I was overweight!
    I like the Bob Greene/Oprah books and I'm using Walk videos for my exercise right now. I really want to improve my entire families diet. More healthy whole foods. I eat very few fat free products. They fall in the "overly processed foods" I'm trying to eliminate. I buy natural sour cream, natural peanut butter....switching a few things at a time so my family doesn't protest too much.
    I have 2 boys, 5 & 10. The 10yr old is husky and I hope the change in diet will help him too.
    I better get going if I want to get my walk in today! Good wishes to everyone!
  • OH, Willbethin I am so jealous that you got to go to the beach. I am addicted to the ocean. One day, I will live there! I'm determined. One summer I spent in DE it was the happiest time of my life. There's just something about the beach that just makes me feel good.
    It sounds like everyone is doing well. That's great, I myself am struggling with the workout thing. While I am still losing, I know it's not going to last if I don't start walking or something. Anyone have and suggestions on how to motivate to do the workout? I've tried promising myself just 5 minutes but I always brush it off. I even thought of giving myself a treat (not food) for working out all week. That didn't work either.
    I need help!
  • hi tiger, i know what you mean about the days when we "thought" we were fat. i look back at pictures and what i wouldnt give to be that "fat" again, boy what was i thinking , i really looked good, yet always remember wanting to always just lose a little more. now i have alot to lose.

hi just me, i also love the beach, so you can imagine, how i lucked out, when i found out the guy who i am married to now, had a cousin who owned a house in north wildwood. i couldnt believe it. i have been going down there steady since i met him in 1985. i must admit as much as i love it, i dont enjoy it as much as when i was thin and was going boogie boarding and not haveing to worry about the way i look. you would think that was motivation enough to get this weight off.

i did have a good day today, i excercised , drank my water and stayed in control of my eating. i am really trying to get the white carbs out of my eating plan and trying to eat more fruit, veggies and lean protiens. and eat less.

hope everyone had a great day.
  • Howdy chicks!!!

Ok, this has been a KILLER two days. I was way over on my fat yesterday, and ate fine today...(most of the day)...

But we still have company. So, we have 5 kids in the house and 4 adults...we just threw pizzas in the oven for lunch and I fixed a veggie burger and baked lays...and then everyone decided to have Chinese for dinner. HELLO...the worst place we could have went. I HAD to have an egg roll and a few pieces of Sweet and Sour Chicken and some pepper steak and rice...But I did drink a Diet Pepsi.

The good news is...they are going home tomorrow and then I can get back on my tight little schedule!

Will, you lucky girl! The SHORE... And by the way...congrats on the GREAT willpower on the boardwalk! Awesome!!

Tiger, glad to see you back! Keep up the great work! Those kids will get used to the healthy stuff before you know it and they will wonder how they EVER ate that old nasty stuff!

Justme...I wish I had the perfect words of encouragement to get you out there exercising....but this is what works for me...I have my husband walk in front of me with a sausage pizza on a stick, and I try to catch it. I could walk for hours. (Just kiddin, although that IS a great idea!)

I plan my walk in the evening. I am usually stressed from the day and that little walk feels GOOD. I can stomp around my block and just cuss the world in my head and burn off all that frustration. I am NOT a morning person and can't haul it out of bed for something so awful as EXERCISE...BARF!!!

Just Cuz...how are you hanging in there??

Well, I had two disappointing days and although I made some healthy choices today...that Chinese is weighing on my mind (and my butt) but like I said...on to better things, I will get my walk in tomorrow, and cut back a little more this week and work on getting in those veggies and fruits and life will be golden again!

Family and friends are often around and sometimes it just feels too good to go out together and EAT. I mean really STRAP on that feedbag and enjoy. Life is too short to punish ourselves...so with that in mind...I have enjoyed my friends and enjoyed my food...now I can concentrating on enjoying a better, healthier lifestyle.

I'm off to bed. Long day...(took all 5 kids to the public swimming pool. I had kids riding on my back all day. "Hey Tiffany, watch this!" "Hey Tiffany, catch me!" (followed by a leaping child, screaming and wet, flying onto my head) "Hey Tiffany, I have to pee!" "Hey Tiffany, I lost my bathing suit top!"

Anyway, you get the idea!
    Much love to my new friends!
    Tiffany :sheep:
  • this is my kind of place
    Hi all.

I'm on my own "plan" too. It's very loose, but I might be able to do it long-term. I just watch portion control and be sure and walk every day. I lost 9 pounds last winter doing just that, but then I got busy and stressed at work, came home exhausted every day, no energy for a walk and hit the snack box at least twice a day while I was at work. Gained back 7 pounds.

I have a problem with the slow and steady too. The thing is, though, I've been heavy since I was a kid. I got to a normal weight and stayed semi-normal between 21 and 26. Now I'm 40 and I can't say how many "diets" I've been on. After each loss, I've ended up gaining back the weight and then some. I weigh 237 pounds now and I'm 5'6. What if it takes me years to get to a healthy weight? If I'd allowed myself years back in my 20's, I might be there now. Who knows.

I think this site is great. I know I've sat alone in my house thinking no one can understand what I'm thinking or feeling about myself and my weight. The weird diets, the binges, the compulsive weighing, etc. But we're all struggling together and with each other's support. We can lose weight. We can get healthy. Here's to us!

Jen
  • I'm doing good!
    I'm doing good Tiffany thanks for asking... Busy week ahead at work and lots of weird things going on in my life right now but in due time it will all settle down... sigh soon I hope.

I saw your line about the pizza in front of you to get you walking.. lol I get myself out there and then pretend some 'scaggy guy' is following me and I walk faster... LOL
    I was pretending that Toby Keith (country music singer in case anyone doesn't know who he is) was following me but heck I started stopping to look at things in hope's he'd catch me so that didn't work!!!

I made the most fantastic supper last night. Spaghetti and meatballs, now I know that doesn't sound so out of the ordinary but for my portion I took a small pan and sauteed some zuchinni strips, mushrooms, onions and fresh chopped basil with some Butter cooking spray and wow added to a 1/4 cup of sauce with a cup of pasta with some steamed broccoli and a salad wow I was in heaven and not 'hog' heaven either lol I'll be making it that way again... it tasted like it was from an expensive italian restaurant.. My 13 year old tasted mine and said "wow mom you did better than the Olive Garden this time, I must just start eating like you do just for the taste..." I glowed for the whole night... I love to cook and my new adventure is taking all my old recipes and making them lowfat. It's soo easy once you learn how. The new man in my life loves my cooking too and he can't tell what's lowfat and what's the old stuff anymore and I met him when I was cooking the old way ...

Later ladies
  • Hi Everyone!
    I have been lurking here for a long time and rarely post but when I started reading your thread I just knew I had to reply.

I am also doing my own plan, mostly just cutting back on portions.

I have been heavy since I was a child and have been on every diet plan known to man and found that nothing was working. Jen I swear you and I could be twins. I am also 5'6" and for most of my life until I hit my late 30's was probably no more than 20-25 lbs overweight. I hit my highest weight about a 2 months ago at 225. I decided then that it was time to change my attitude and do something about it, besides spending any more of my time and hard earned money for someone else to tell me how to lose weight. I already knew all of that stuff anyway, the real problem for me has been to do it! I also have teenage children (I am now 43) and naturally we always have to have lots of junk in the house.

I agree with all of you about wishing I were "fat" like I was when I was younger. I have clothes in my closet ranging from a size 10 to 20. I can remember that as I gained weight I hated those size 14 and 16's and now when I look at them I think, WOW, if I could get back there again I would look and feel great!

I don't mean to make this post so long, I guess I just have so much 'stuff' in my head that needs to get out. My weight issues really and truly started when people started telling me at a young age things like " you would be so pretty if you'd just lose some weight". I know you've all heard it before, but I just want to know who gave them that right to say that to me. Makes me wonder if people would just love and accept us for who we are if I would be where I am now or still just 20 lbs heavy.

Anyway, I would love to be part of your group. It feels like I've found my niche here. I have lost 15 lbs since I started a month and a half ago and am hoping to get back to at least 150 where I know I will feel good again.

Have a great day everyone!

LJ
  • PS
    Justcuz, I loved your thing about Toby Keith. Maybe I'll try that one!
  • wow, this board is really hopping!!

welcome newbies
    jen, you are right we all have so much in common, we just have to hang in there and be there for each other.

justcuz, your pasta meal sounds great, i dont like to cook, so i try to make things as simple as possible, that one doesnt sound to hard, good for you for making the meals you already like , healthier.

huntress, congrats on your weight loss, sounds like you are finding what will work for you, i have the same problem with slow and steady, i have no patients. we all have to give ourselves time to lose this weight, and change our bad eating habits.

tiffany, you were sure busy girl, bet it kept you from thinking about food though. i know about chinese food that is a killer, so many different things to try. and it does feel good , when you are with friends and family to just go out and enjoy without worrying so much about what we are eating all the time.

well, i am ready for a new day, to control myself , excercise, drink my water and make healthier choices, i did pretty good yesterday. i kept myself busy which is a big problem for me as i am unemployed and not getting many babysitting jobs, 2 of the kids i was watching, arent here anymore because of one parent got hurt and is not working and the other one, relatives wanted to watch their kids, so i am left with alot of time on my hands.

lets all have a great day.
  • Well, HELLOO! This thread has become quite popular. I had so much fun reading all of yesterday's posts. The pepperoni pizza, country wester singer (don't know him) for me I think I'd do best if there was a big rabid dog chasing me, or a bunch of roaches.

I am in a very happy state of mind, I have done the weigh in and I am down to 211. I feel so confident that I will be under 200 in a month or so! Man, can't wait for that day to come.

Here, Here on the gourmet cooking! I love to experiment with new recipes. It's so much fun, of course, I do have my disasters here and there. I love to put all kinds of stuff with pasta and veggies. My favorite creation is my homemade pizza. All it takes is some ready made pizza crust, roll it out to a 6 inch disc. Top it with fresh tomatos, garlic and parm cheese, you can even add some lowfat mozz cheese. It is so GOOD! And so easy. I love to experiment with all kinds of toppings, artichoke hearts, broccoli, cheddar cheese (lowfat), cottage cheese and pinapple....I could go on forever! Hey, it also makes a great breakfast pizza....

Let me tell ya, I wish I was as fat as I thought I was in college, to me an 11/12 was HUGE! And that was from the Juniors sections. I look back at pictures of myself and think I only wish I still looked that way. In fact, the only time I was ever happy with my weight was in high school, I had lost about 25 pounds and actually fit into a size 5!!!

Why do us as women define ourselves by what size we wear??
  • Hey Everyone!
    Justcuz, I read a book recently called The Schwarzbein Principle. The authur specializes in diabetes. If you like to read, it has a lot of interesting info. The sub title 'the truth about losing weight, being healthy and feeling younger' is what caught my attention.
    Tiffany, I saw a Susan Powter video at the library the other day. Have you tried it? I didn't get it 'cuz I don't have the equipment she suggests. I imagine it's hyper like her.
    The days I 'thought I was fat'...I think if someone would have told me it was ok to wear a size 10 it would have made a world of difference. I'm tall and big boned, my bones wouldn't fit in anything smaller than a 10! I'm in a 18 now. Size twelve is my goal. I don't think I define myself by my size. I just feel out of shape and unhealthy where I'm at now. In '97, I had gotten up to running 3 miles. I'm so far from there now that I can't believe I ever did it. My knees can't believe it either!
    Willbethin, I babysit too. But, this may be my last week. The scheduling is getting to conflicting with my kids swim lessons and baseball. I'll miss the extra $, but life will be much easier.
    Hi huntress, dream'n about those 14's and 16's too!
    Welcome Jen!

• JustCuz...I had to laugh when I read your post about the "scaggy" guy chasing you. LOL

By the way, your spaghetti sounded WONDERFUL...I think we will all be trying that!

Jen, WELCOME!!! And we ALL understand how you feel. It wasn't too long ago that I practically LIVED in the McDonald's drive through. I would order a ton of food and then get 2 small drinks so they wouldn't think it was all for me. I would eat all that food and then go home and have a big dinner in about another hour...I had no idea how to fill up the empty space inside of me. I guess I still struggle, but my self-confidence is really climbing and I like the feeling of being in control of my food and not the other way around. I may not be in control of a lot of things, but by God, my dinner will do what I say!!!

Tiger, I haven't done any of Susan's videos...I just REALLY like those step tapes. I like the rythmic stepping sounds...and if I am REALLY ticked off, I stomp a little, and that makes me feel good. I picture someone's face on my step and I stomp all over them! (I believe that is called HEALTHY anger!!)

Just me!!! That pizza sounded heavenly too. You are making some great choices! You know, there really isn't much out there that we like to eat that we can't substitute low-fat versions of. I do love the pizza too, but I will used some ground chicken or turkey and loads of veggies and low fat cheese...the Boboli crusts aren't too bad. (the thin ones) and with all those veggies piled on...you get full!

I also love salad with grilled chicken and fat free Italian Dressing. I am in LOVE with the Olive Garden's salad...so I try to make it as close as possible. Has anyone tried their low-fat version of their heavenly dressing??

Hi Huntress! Welcome! I hear you on the teenagers. I have a 13 and a 14 year old girl, and they eat like boys. Resisting the healthy food a little, so I let them have a free day on Sunday too as long as they still try to make good choices for at least one meal!

Will, I too am unemployed right now and that can be tough. BUT...working outside the home can be tough too when there are so many temptations. You are my inspiration right now! So positive! *You can be our official cheerleader!!*

Well, the company is gone!! We went out to eat for lunch today at Bob Evans. YUCK. I had dry wheat toast and 2 poached eggs and I left the yolks on my plate. I just wasn't hungry. (It's that dang chinese food. STILL plugging up my guts!!) I feel like I ate enough for 6 months, but I know I didn't do TOO bad considering)