Morning vs. afternoon weighing

• Hi everyone

Just wondering... as today was a pretty baaad day for me. Weighed in the afternoon just after lunch (yes, stupidly!) and my weight was up from last week by 2.5 kg! Panicked and still feeling stressed about it because I haven't changed anything in terms of diet/exercise, and the only difference was that I usually weigh in the morning and this time I did so in the afternoon - post lunch and not to mention 1 litre of water.

I guess just need some reassurance and motivation that this is all due to external factors?? And not fat?

Thanks would greatly appreciate any feedback please. Thank you
  • Never weigh yourself in the afternoon, you can be up a few pounds due to food and water intake.
    Weigh yourself in the morning after bathroom and before eating. This is your true weight. We all weigh more in the middle of the day..
    Dont stress over it its natural..
  • I think it would be quite challenging to gain 5.5lbs in a week. As butterfly says, if you are going to weigh yourself, try doing it early in the morning, sans clothes, after you've done your business, before you had breakfast. You still will have fluctuations based on external factors but I find that this method minimizes as much of them as possible.
  • I'm always up 3-4 pounds by afternoon / evening, then I lose it overnight.
  • No stressing! After you wake and use the bathroom, weigh in! I've gained up to five pounds in one day, and lost it all in one night!! This is one reason they tell you to only weigh yourself once a week and around the same time, because your body is always changing!
  • 1 litre of water all by itself weighs 2 pounds.
  • I only ever rely on my morning weight to be the most accurate. I like to weigh myself just for fun in the middle of the day before and after eating though lol.
  • I weigh in the morning, before I eat anything and after I go tinkle. I weighed myself after dinner and got a 2lb difference. So no worries! If you drink enough water, you'll be down to the same weight - maybe less!
  • I agree with everyone else: weigh urself in the morning, then you can avoid those upsetting "weight gains" in the afternoons!

Cheer up, it's probably nothing really

~ tea
  • Thanks for all the replies!
    Does 1 litre of water really weigh 2 pounds?
  • actually it weighs 2.2 pounds! 1 liter=1 kg
  • Yeah -- I can bounce up as much as 5 pounds during the day. Always do it in the morning after a "BM" and before you eat.
  • Quote: Always do it in the morning after a "BM" and before you eat.
    I agree 100% this is how I weigh myself!!