Do you have a heart rate monitor?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I decided I need to get one. I have never had one but know how they work and what they are for... etc.

I was just wondering who has one.... what's a good brand? what's a good price range? any specific features you look for? i almost picked one up today but decided to get some feedback from you guys first. i don't want to get one that's too fancy for my needs (basic HRM with ability to accurately track cals burned) but don't want to get a cheapo that's a waste of money either.

suggestions? thanks!
  • I got a Polar F4 a couple weeks ago and I LOVE it. The one thing it doesn't have is a back light so you can read the watch in the dark. The F6 has that option along with a few other small improvements.
    In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Polar
    They run from $80-$150
  • i just got the polar f4 about a month ago. so far i really like it. it has changed the way i work out because now i target a certain heart rate rather than a speed. this is supposed to help increase overall fitness level, but it's too early for me to say whether it's working.
    for some reason whenever i start out, the heart rate is a bit screwy, but it evens out after about 5 or 10 mins. dunno why this is.
  • I just bought a Timex from amazon.com. I'll chime in once it arrives and I've used it a few times.
  • Guess I'll be the first to chime in with "no, I don't."

I can judge level of effort by how I feel (able to speak full paragraphs? able to speak a word or two? hang on, must catch my breath to answer?), and since I run on streets/trails/etc. (i.e., not treadmill) I have a built-in objective measure of what I'm doing. (Alternative answer, I'm a bit of a Luddite and I feel like a watch and an iPod are enough technology for me to require.)
  • Add me to the Polar fans. I have the F4 but will soon be upgrading to the F6 - it has a function that doesn't allow "cross talk" between other HRM's, so you'll always be getting your own data. I have loved my F4 every step of the way... it's so worth it!
  • thatnks so much for the feedback! i found the one i had that was about 50 bucks (cant remember the brand this sec) and i dont know if it's reading accurately or not. it has a sensor button that gives you your HR thru your finger and tracks your cals burned by the number. i tried to stay in my normal range my whole run today (about 35 mins at a rate about 170- i checked a lot) and it said i burned 500 something cals. is there ANY way that's true?? i think i'm going to invest in a relatively expensive one because this just doesn't seem right.....
  • I have the Polar F6 and it rocks! I find it to be very accurate and LOVE the fact that it gives a weekly total and logs each workout/weekly total so you can go to past weeks and compare. You can also set a heart rate zone and it starts beeping at you if you slack off, it's like a nagging trainer. I can workout on my own and judge intensity on my own but the watch helps raise the bar and keeps me accountable. The battery even lasts over a year. The ONLY downside was getting used to wearing the strap under my sports bra... but I got over that in a day or two. It's pink too!
  • Quote:
    (about 35 mins at a rate about 170- i checked a lot) and it said i burned 500 something cals. is there ANY way that's true??
    At your weight 500 calories is about 5 miles, give or take.
  • How do these things work? I looked at the Polar home page and they look like a watch, but do you also still have to wear a strap around your chest?
  • Quote: How do these things work? I looked at the Polar home page and they look like a watch, but do you also still have to wear a strap around your chest?
    Yep, the strap around your chest transmits your heart rate to the watch. It's not bothersome at all and I don't even notice it's there.
  • I have a Reebok one with a chest strap. I got it when i was taking spin class and I use it almost every time I exercise. I love it.
  • Quote: At your weight 500 calories is about 5 miles, give or take.
    hm yeah, there's no WAY i ran 5 miles. more like 2... looks like i'm going SHOPPING haha
  • Thanks for starting this topic. I too am looking for a good HRM now that I am running. I have found a couple decent ones on e-bay. I think I am going to get the Polar F6.
  • Quote: Guess I'll be the first to chime in with "no, I don't."

I can judge level of effort by how I feel (able to speak full paragraphs? able to speak a word or two? hang on, must catch my breath to answer?), and since I run on streets/trails/etc. (i.e., not treadmill) I have a built-in objective measure of what I'm doing. (Alternative answer, I'm a bit of a Luddite and I feel like a watch and an iPod are enough technology for me to require.)

Yep, me too on this.