Nonfat Guacamole (Asparagus guacamole)

• Asparagus Guacamole

I made this tonight and its sooo good. You can make it in a food processor or possibly a blender. I have a Vitamix blender so I used that. I did add avocado and actually blended the garlic, jalapenos pepper, and cilantro in with the asparagus. I also used a lot more cilantro than the recipe called for but then again I love cilantro. I did cut back on the garlic a bit though to 2 cloves. I then add chopped tomatoes and omitted the corn.

Ingredients:

1 Bunch Asparagus (6-8 spears)
    3 clove Garlic
    2 tablespoon Jalepeno Pepper
    ¼ cup cilantro
    2 tablespoon Lime Juice
    ¼ cup Scallions
    ¼ cup Chopped Tomato
    1 Ear of Fresh Corn

Preparation:

Process the heck out of the asparagus until it is smooth and creamy. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper. YUM. If you are not concerned about fat intake, add half an avocado, or a few tablespoons of nut butter or nut mylk for extra creaminess. This also makes a great salad dressing if you increase the lime juice to make it a liquid.
  • Sounds good! Asparagus (from Peru and Mexico) is 97 cents/pound this week at my local Pavillions (Safeway subsidiary) and avocados were 67 cents for medium Hass at Food for Less (Ralphs discount store)....don't hate me!
  • Me again- I had to share a dip I made this weekend that is texturally, visually and taste-wise very guacamole-like. I started out in hummus mode with a drained can of garbanzo beans, added several green garlic stalks (can sub garlic cloves and green onion), a tablespoon of olive oil, fresh jalapeno to your taste, lemon juice, and the "special ingredient" ---- an entire bunch of hyper fresh cilantro. Buzzed in processor. It is a great dip, works as a dressing on salad (thin with more citrus juice), and a sauce over chicken or fish.
  • Do you use raw asparagus? Does that process down enough?
  • I used raw.
  • Thanks. I'm going to try it. I can't have the avocado crappy one. I will try the asparagus one.
  • You may want to consider the fact that guacamole made with avocados does not have saturated fat, but it does have good fat. There have been several studies that show people who ate one avocado a day for a month actually lowered their bad cholesterol and blood pressure substantially and lost some weight.
  • Avocado does have saturated fat. Fitday says 3.7g per avocado. But I just can't believe there's anything unhealthy about avocado!
  • One thing I'd say is that this really is an 'asparagus dip that is kind of like guacamole'. Although I love avocados and use them, that doesn't mean you can't have an asparagus dip, especially if you are watching calories/fat.