Okay... weight and clothes

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • At 250 I wore a 24 bottom - 2X top. I'm 5'2".

Now at 139 I wear a size 8 jeans comfortably and a couple of those pairs are getting loose, and mediums and small tops, . Even though I technically am still overweight with BMI, I attribute my being in a small size to my strength training.
  • 5'7". Started about 197 pounds, size 18 in pants. Now about 138 pounds, size 6 or 8 (I have some 8s that are smaller than some of my 6s, you know how that is). On top, I guess I started at least an XL, sometimes bigger. Now a medium, sometimes small. I haven't bought a lot of tops yet in numbered sizes, although I do have one that's a 6.

At this same weight 10 years ago I wore a 10 in pants. So it's weird to me how the sizes have changed and finding myself in the sizes I used to wear when I used to be 10 pounds less.
  • These are so interesting to read. Great thread!!
  • The sizing thing is crazy-making, iwhen I was 170 lbs I was a size 13, and sometimes 12s. I have no idea what size I was at my heaviest after giving birth (255 lbs) since I only wore yoga pants and refused to to buy regular pants. Now at 198 lbs I fit comfortably in 16s and some stretchy 14s and tops range from large to extra-large depending on the cut. I'm with Thighsbegone, I feel like I've been in 16s FOREVER!
  • At my highest weight (290) I was a 22/24 in pants and 2X tops were getting tight and I wouldn't buy a 3X. I'm now a comfortable medium in tops and a 10 in skirts but a 12 in pants (to accommodate my still large rear end). I'll be happy when I'm a 10 in pants.

Kitty
  • At 272 I wore a 4X in tops and a 30/32 in pants.

At 142 I wear an XL (occasionally a Large) top and about a size 12 in pants. I'm apple shaped.

Thanks for starting such an interesting thread; it's amazing to see all the variation!
  • I'm a size 11/12. I'm working to get to a size 5!
  • Height: 5' 6" Current weight: 327

Today I am wearing Lane Bryant trousers (8 red average, which translates into size 26ish) and a size 22/24 top. I've got a belly so my pants have always been bigger than my tops.
  • I'm 5'3". At 247, I wore size 22 jeans with stretch and 2X or 1X tops.

Now at 141, I'm finding size 10 jeans with stretch are a bit loose in the waist and need to be freshly laundered to fit nicely. The tops that fit me best are a petite medium, for the most part. At Bloomingdale's a couple weeks ago, though, I found the best fit for a classic cashmere sweater from the Sutton Place line was a large. (Except for the sleeve length.)
  • Im short 5'2" I wear a 24/26 pants and a 3x top. I often wonder what it will feel like to be in the teen size pants and a large shirt.
  • Great thread! At my highest weight (298) I was in 3X shirts and size 28 pant. Now, I am in 9/10 pants at any normal store, and a medium to large in shirts.
  • I'm 5' 5.5" tall, 161.5 pounds and right now I wear a 10 in jeans. They fit comfortably. When I started in July I was wearing a tight 16 (should have been wearing an 18 I'm sure) and I weighed 210.
  • At 310 I wore 4x or 26/28 top,24 pants with elastic waist only (super tight)
    At 260 22 jeans & 2x or 3x top depending on cut, dresses,suits size 22
  • I started at 240 lbs, size 20 pants, tops 1x or 2x.

Now I'm 189 lbs, size 12 or 14 pants, tops L or XL.
  • I'm 5'8".

At 300ish, I wore a 26/tight 3X in pants and a 2X or 3X in tops.

At 245ish, I'm wearing a 20/loose 2X in pants and an XL or 1X in tops.

And a note on the vanity sizing . . . I completely agree that it is very extreme and completely ridiculous. I just wish the clothing manufacturers could get together and agree on standard sizes - it would really make shopping a lot easier, particularly online!