How long have you been overweight?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • I considered making this a poll but I think there's too much variation to put together in a poll.

My short answer: my whole life

Longer answer: I first felt fat at age 5. I remember being considered overweight in 3rd grade. I spent from age 18-20 at a healthy weight for my height and have been back to overweight/obese every since (now age 27).

How about you?
  • Too long, to be more specific about 17 yrs.
  • Literally, my whole life. I was born in the 95th percentile, so even though I'm still overweight I feel more average-sized than I did as a kid
  • 10 yrs.
  • ive been overweight since i was about 10 im 48 now..ive lost weight 3 times in my life but never kept it off
  • you are all doing great...im gonna start on ash wednesday
  • Since about the age of 18 months.
    Apparently born on the low side of normal, I was a picky eater, so a terrified first-time mother stuffed me with whatever I'd take!
  • I was born 3lbs 90z and stayed thin for a quite a long time. I gained some weight around age 8 at the start of puberty. It quickly went away. I have been overweight now since about age 20, so for 6 years.
  • I have been overweight since the 5th grade .. I'm a junior in college now :/ ... lost the weight and re-gained it once I got married :/
  • I have been overweight my whole life. Like you I would have to say I have been overweight since the age of 5. I do not think I have ever had a healthy weight. I have discovered a new form of theraputic help dealing with the fact that I have been overweight most my life. I did some research and decided to make a very hard decision for many people. The realization and the courage to admit that I have a problem with food. So I decided to go to OA which is Overeaters Anonymous. I love it and it has been really helpful. Well I hope this helps your poll.
  • I was a skinny kid up until 5 grade, about 10. After going through a traumatic experience, I turned to food and started packing on the pounds. I was a good 30 lbs or so overweight throughout high school. Was very conscious of the fact that I needed to lose weight I was always on a "diet". Never a good one though and they didn't last very long. Very restrictive eating, very binge-y eating, very poor eating. I was like this till I got married at age 22. The second I was engaged I started piling on more pounds. I must have been one of the few brides who actually needed her dress taken out as it got closer to the wedding day. I had a baby about 19 months later and forget it - any semblance of normal eating was totally and completely gone. I became obese, then morbidly obese VERY quickly.

Then when I was 42, I'm 45 now, my light bulb moment came, realized that I didn't have to be fat if I didn't want to be. Realized that I did indeed have control over this (the whole time in fact) and made the decision to be a healthy person and lost 165 lbs.
  • Since I was 10 years old. I am 47 now.
  • I was a twig as a kid. Gained some during the college years but nothing bad.

It really wasn't until after I started having kids that it became a problem. That plus the dreaded aging and slowing of metabolism.
  • I was slightly overweight in middle school. Then I was at a healthy weight until I started working in an office full time, about 3 years ago.
  • a little over 8 years.....I gained 80 pounds with the first kid, 30 with my second and and about 30 more with my third (and last!) baby lol