My whole body hurts :(

• I ran a 5k on Friday(my 3rd one) and did it in 42min 36sec. That as the hardest I think I have ever pushed myself. My whole body is still in pain. Ankles, calves, thighs, hip/tushy waist, back, stomach, shoulders. Does running really work every muscle in the body??
  • Congratulation! You did great!!

From the things that I have read - running is supposed to be a great "all over" workout.

I have also read that sometimes going for an easy run or walk the next day can help with the soreness.
  • Where did you do the run? I get pain when I push myself but usually it isn't in ALL those areas, I get ankle pain if the hills are really steep etc etc. I'd suggest stretch, icing and taking walks usually works for me.
  • Shoulders and upper body pain are generally about how you're holding yourself as you run. Pay attention to not tensing those parts when you run.

Lower body could be anything but IME when everything hurts it's a hard surface issue--running on something harder than you're used to and harder than you can handle for that distance/in those shoes/at that weight and fitness level.
  • When I push myself my whole lower body is sore.
  • When I run and I don't wear tights, my hips, rear and upper thighs hurt like they've been flapping in the wind. My feet also ache depending on the distance but my upper body really isn't affected too much as far as I can feel.
  • When I run really hard, I definitely can feel it in the entire lower body -- mostly hamstrings/rear, but also quads and joints. Running engages your core, so that's working too, although I don't usually get sore there. If your shoulders are sore, then you were probably tensing up from all of the effort. When your primary muscles get really tired, then other muscles kick in to help and you are using everything you've got just to keep going forward.

Congratulations on your hard effort!! The soreness will pass, with recovery time, stretching and gentle exercise for a day or two. Make sure you have really good, well-fitting running shoes ... lack of cushioning or improper fit can make things worse than they otherwise would be.
  • Quote: Where did you do the run?
    On pavement. Not perfectly even but not bad,

Well today is Tuesday and I am still sore but its easier. Now its just mainly my calves and ankles. I was going to go back out to the track today but maybe not.
  • Maybe do a slow jog or brisk walk instead around the track...