February Chat

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Hi Everyone!

Well, I feel like I'm on a roll and really getting into an exercise routine I can stick with. Although, I still need to add weight training or strength training of some sort. And my eating has been going really well, too. I am kind of nervous about this weekend because of my birthday and Valentine's Day. I was hoping I could keep it down to one treat meal, but now I'm going to my in-laws' house for dinner on Sunday, in addition to my parents' house for dinner on Saturday. I am going to do my best.

Robot - I'm sorry February hasn't been your month so far. But, I'm sure you can make the second half much better!!

, GlitterQueenRayne! I am not new to 3FC, but I am new to posting here and it's been great for motivation and support. Hope to get to know you better!

K8-EEE - I'm in total agreement that the exercise thread is very motivational! There have been at least a couple of times that I don't think I would have gotten it done without this place.

bopeep - Glad you are feeling better. I know that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to feeling sorry for myself and giving up. That is something I am determined not to do this time. Sounds like you have decided to keep going and not give up as well. Great job!

WormwoodDoll - So glad you are back on track. You are doing an awesome job!!! Keep it up!

I am so glad to be a part of your group!
  • Confession!! I'm addicted to the ultimate conform-o-chick reality show, Real Housewives of OC! OK Fess up -- anybody else spend their Tuesday nights in Coto de Caza?
  • Welcome GlitterQueen!

Busy week again at work but I am managing to exercise and eat well. I have switched from coffee with 2 sugars to a cup of plain green tea at breaktime.
    Feelin' pretty good about it too.
  • Thanks for the welcomes I think I'm gonna like it here.
    Oh I HATE the OC hosewives show!!! It makes me ill 9more than likely because i live in OC and I don't know ANYONE that way)
    I will admit to watching The Hills in secret for a little...shhhh
    I got a little exercise in today. I'm now a rider of the public transit system. I have to walk to the bus stop and run to catch buses and trains now. It's built in activity. Now I need to sign up for a pillates class.
  • Hey I know some OC housewives like that!! My friend from Newport Beach, all her HS friends are JUST like that, LOL. I also TiVO "Top Chef" on the Wed.....damn my college daughter for getting me stuck on Bravo Junk TV when she was home for Christmas! The Hills! Wait I don't know anybody like THAT....HA!~

My husband totally exiles himself in his studio when I have this on he's like OMG THOSE HORRIBLE WOMEN! LOL.....

You know what you're right about the public transit!! I visited friends in France last year and I got so much exercise just walking everywhere -- I'm sure that's a big reason why there's not as many overweight people in European cities, because they're not built for cars like we are here. It's such a hassle to park and stuff over there that people just walk.

Quote: Thanks for the welcomes I think I'm gonna like it here.
    Oh I HATE the OC hosewives show!!! It makes me ill 9more than likely because i live in OC and I don't know ANYONE that way)
    I will admit to watching The Hills in secret for a little...shhhh
    I got a little exercise in today. I'm now a rider of the public transit system. I have to walk to the bus stop and run to catch buses and trains now. It's built in activity. Now I need to sign up for a pillates class.
  • yeah, it seems that february is just a BLAH month- not yet spring -not really winter..just gray and dreary! but carnival is just around the corner..a good excuse to party like mad starting feb 19

mauvaisroux- am glad to hear ur feeling better...am also busy w/ the physio hope u get to exercise again soon!

sunrose- yep i am a teacher-person alright! at the moment i am doing mostly adult education and college.., but they totally still act like adolescents what level do you teach?

k8- i am currently living in europe and am at the mercy of public transportation-ur right.. it totally counts as exercise!

and heartfelt shout-outs!!! wormwood doll, glitterqueen & bopeep
  • Sunrose - I'm sure you'll do fine this weekend! Don't worry too much about the calories. Just make smarter choices and enjoy yourself. Happy birthday as well!

mauvaisroux
    - I love green tea. Such a good choice over the coffee and great on calories! My favorite is TAZO Zen Green Tea with Lemongrass & Speamint. I should buy myself a box off Amazon when I get paid tomorrow. Just $25 bucks for 6 packs of 20.

Today has started of well. Ate my leftovers from Ruby Tuesday It was the Chesapeake catch and rice pilaf. Spicy and yummy. And just about 600 calories. Not too bad since I didn't eat breakfast this morning.

Tonight I'm thinking just soup and sandwiches. I could really go for turkey and pepper jack cheese with roasted red peppers and a little mayo. MMMM. Then heading to the gym. Woo!
  • I actually had a salad for breakfast, although I didn't get around to eating it until 10:30! I have so much yummy stuff in my garden right now....green onions, lettuce, cilantro I even have a few (wimpy but better than store bought) winter tomatoes. I put some garbanzo beans and sunflower seeds in it....YUM.

Sometimes I'm in a mood where I actually crave the good stuff! Those days are easy.
  • I feel like I've been run oner by a snowplow, and it feels good! I was learning to do some floor work in my belly dance class last night (it's the advanced class, and I'm still really a beginner), and hoo boy - those are *not* the same muscles I've been working on for the past several months! I have another class this evening so I'm sure I'll sleep soundly tonight!

I also shoveled a path from my back door to the alley because I need to clear a route for the meltwater to go - if I don't make the path, the water runs toward the door. It's 10 degrees (celcius) out today, the snow is melting like crazy and we're supposed to get a lot of rain tomorrow. The snow was heavy, heavy stuff, and almost three feet deep (snow drifts into my backyard). I'm seriously pooped, but I'm thinking of all the calories that must have burned...

It's funny - I live in a city with a good public transit system. We have loads of buses, commuter trains, and a metro system. I don't even own a car. I live basically downtown, and I walk everywhere. To me this sort of thing is normal - I'm 40 and I've never owned a car. But I still got fat. At least I was a fit fat - I could walk for hours, even at my highest weight, just because I'm used to it. I must admit it does make exercising easier, when you're already used to a certain amount of activity. Every little bit helps!

It's almost time for me to dig out my seeds and get started on some of my gardening. Some slow seeds need the extra two to three months of indoor growing time, but it's so nice to get things up and running. When I see the little green shoots I can forget about the three feet of snow out back! It's such a morale booster, and I get to thinking about all the tasty salads I will have with my own tomatoes, basil, lettuce...

BP
  • Bopeep I went to Montreal for my honeymoon trip....what a beautiful city you live in and even as tourists we didn't have any trouble getting around.

Hey one interesting idea I saw for growing seedlings, haven't tried it yet -- you make these little square boxes out of newspaper, just cut newspaper into 7 inch squares and fold them into little boxes, by the time the seeds start to come up you just plant the whole thing, newspaper and all, as it will break down....like the little peet pots that you buy, except, you don't have to buy anything!
  • bopeep - I live in a city as well, without a car, and walk everywhere. Moving here is how I lost my first 8lbs and lead me to really want this.
  • hi all! those familiar faces and the new peeps i don't know.

so quick update on me if anyone cares. my cat's been really sick and after lots and lots of different tests we found out she has to have her adrenal gland removed. we took out a hefty loan to do so and the surgery takes place on tuesday. (lets not even talk about money issues). there are all kinds of possible things that may go wrong that i don't want to talk about and also we have to send the tumor off to discover if it is benign or malignant. *sigh*

good news is it could be benign, she'll recover from the surgery in a couple of weeks (poor thing will be doped up and have one of those cones on her head) and then she'll be a perfectly healthy kitty bitty and this whole thing will be behind me.

bad news is it's been really difficult keeping up with school and keeping a generally positive attitude about everything. i have been doing really well so far, but ever since she got sick and i got a little behind in school i've used it as an excuse to develop my vegan baking skills and have ate choc chip cookies for dinner for three nights in a row. i, too, walk every where so thankfully everything has kind of evened out, but i haven't done a workout in a couple of weeks now.
    so....

i feel it's time to start checking in with you all again even if its just a few minutes a day. school is out next week for winter break so i can stay home and take care of booger, but also i want to take the opportunity to get back in the swing of things with working out and exercise. it'll be slow going as i am really off track, but it needs to be done.

why is it so hard to continue with my lifestyle change when life gets rough?

gypsy - thanks for the idea of making a color coded schedule. i'm actually going to sit down and do that tonight.

bopeep - i'm afraid i have the winter blahs. how did you talk yourself out of them, you seem to be in a better place now.

all - please send positive healthy kitty vibes to my sick kitty, booger!
  • ollie27 - I hope things go well with the kitty. I am taking mine to a new vet tomorrow to get his ears checked out. I bought ear medicine for him and he was fine for two weeks but now it's back 10x worse than before. I was happy to hear that they actually had an opening. Vets are scarce in my area.
  • thanks, wormwood.
  • Ollie, I hope for the best possible news for your kitty!! It's true that like everything else it's easier to be disciplined on the days when everything's falling into place easily, alas, life is full of those OTHER days too. So if you can get through THEM.... you win!

No matter how sad or stressful life gets, one good thing to remember is:

THERE IS NO PROBLEM SO BAD THAT OVEREATING CAN'T MAKE IT WORSE!

It's really true -- it's just compounding one problem with another! I sometimes think that with my yoyo-ing weight habits I am just trying to distract myself (ie, if my weight wasn't an issue, I would have to face (fill in the blank.)

Quote: hi all! those familiar faces and the new peeps i don't know.

so quick update on me if anyone cares. my cat's been really sick and after lots and lots of different tests we found out she has to have her adrenal gland removed. we took out a hefty loan to do so and the surgery takes place on tuesday. (lets not even talk about money issues). there are all kinds of possible things that may go wrong that i don't want to talk about and also we have to send the tumor off to discover if it is benign or malignant. *sigh*

good news is it could be benign, she'll recover from the surgery in a couple of weeks (poor thing will be doped up and have one of those cones on her head) and then she'll be a perfectly healthy kitty bitty and this whole thing will be behind me.

bad news is it's been really difficult keeping up with school and keeping a generally positive attitude about everything. i have been doing really well so far, but ever since she got sick and i got a little behind in school i've used it as an excuse to develop my vegan baking skills and have ate choc chip cookies for dinner for three nights in a row. i, too, walk every where so thankfully everything has kind of evened out, but i haven't done a workout in a couple of weeks now.
    so....

i feel it's time to start checking in with you all again even if its just a few minutes a day. school is out next week for winter break so i can stay home and take care of booger, but also i want to take the opportunity to get back in the swing of things with working out and exercise. it'll be slow going as i am really off track, but it needs to be done.

why is it so hard to continue with my lifestyle change when life gets rough?

gypsy - thanks for the idea of making a color coded schedule. i'm actually going to sit down and do that tonight.

bopeep - i'm afraid i have the winter blahs. how did you talk yourself out of them, you seem to be in a better place now.

all - please send positive healthy kitty vibes to my sick kitty, booger!