monday's weigh-in... sigh... .8 of a lb???

• AUGHHHHHHHHH....

I only dropped 0.8 of a pound Even though I've been busting myself on the treadmill lately this past week, ugh.

This past week, I did three days of intense walking/hiking on the treadmill, took a easy day off, then back to another 2 days of challenging hiking on the treadmill, then took the third day off completely from exercise (sunday). I also did a leg work dvd three times this past week on alternate days as well. And I've been feeling quite a bit of muscle developing in my legs as a result of hiking this past month or 2.

I'm still keeping my calories in check and the amount of water I drink (though I admit I have had another cup or 2 to drink before and after my workouts lately), and my sodium is on the lower end of the scale since I don't eat a lot of processed foods but fresh or frozen... tsk.

So I'm still 189 lbs.

My goal is to lose 25 lbs by Memorial Day weekend. According to BMI calculator, if I lose another 25 lbs by Memorial Day weekend, it would mean I'm technically NO LONGER overweight!

I do realize 0.8 of a lb is better than nothing and some people here going through plateaus would LUV dropping even this amount.

It's just a little bit discouraging when you alternate hard/easy exercises sessions in the hopes of losing another 2 lbs.

I do hope the following week I can lose more than 0.8 of a pound!

*grumbling*

~ tea
  • Hey,

I don't quite understand what you're saying about water intake. You should be drinking 8 to 10 8-oz. glasses a day. Be sure to get enough water!

What is your calorie target? I forget.

Jay
  • Hi JayEll--

That is my intake generally, but because I work in a dry environment & have been steadily increasing my hiking time or speed lately, I've gone for an extra cup or 2 during or after my exercise (I drink more plain herbal tea or water in the morning/mid afternoon before exercising, FYI).

My general caloric intake is 1,200-1,300 calories. But I know just like exercise, you should mix up your caloric intake so ur body has to "keep guessing." So I try to mix up both exercises & caloric intake a couple times a week.

I don't really buy any processed foods anymore: just frozen or fresh. I basically don't eat starchy carbs food anymore (think of bread, cakes, etc) and I cut out sugar. I generally go for the good food groups: veggies, lean meats, fruit, nuts, olives, egg(whites), etc. Kinda a Mediterranean diet I suppose you will, without flour (it's helped keep me away from temptations... so I"m like to each her own ).

~ tea
  • Well, I'd give it another week. I know it's frustrating, but if you are doing everything right, then it might just be that you need to be patient!

Jay
  • It IS frustrating, but I think we tend to put too much "weight" on the numbers on the scale. You might have lost "fat" but it's being masked by a little water weight, a little muscle -- who knows! Remember, the scale is the It wants you to quit and it gives us these misleading numbers!

But if you're doing everything right you WILL vanquish the demon!
  • If you are replacing fat with muscle, you may not see results on the scale. Remember.....muscle weighs more than fat.

Maybe take your measurements and compare week to week.
  • You have lost over 100 pounds in a relatively short amount of time. Sometimes our bodies just need a break. I totally agree with alyandbra3. Take your measurements. I've had several no-loss, slow-low, and even slight-gain weeks, and every time, without fail, those weeks the tape measure moved.
  • Hey guys, thanks!

well, I still went and did a sweaty workout after posting my disappointment!

Felt like a million bucks afterwards, and then decided to still reward myself by getting Madonna's cd (50% off at my grocery store!!) "Ray of Light" as a reward for doing a great job working out this past week even if I didn't get the results I wanted in terms of pounds lost on the scale

I figure, just because I didn't see anything immediate, doesn't mean I should cancel out my efforts this past week and be grumpy for the rest of the day!