how do you eat your salmon?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I just bought a container of fresh salmon chunks from tj's and am wondering what to do with them besides put them in wraps. the chunks are maybe 1-2" big. thanks!
  • You could make salmon skewers with onion and tomato and grill them. Or make soup! With veggies, potatoes and dill mmm for some reason it just tastes amazing in soup.
  • with a fork.............

sorry could not control myself!

IF you dont have a problem with sodium terriaki sauce is great, I would just bake with a little sauce on it, serve with brown rice and roasted asparagus or beans or something.
  • Put them into a salad
  • How about salmon, vegetables and seasoning on a skewer in the George Forman grill?
  • I am a huge sockeye salmon eater. I have it every week. I make salmon cakes! MMMmmm! I use fresh salmon but you could use canned or whatever.

Diced Salmon
    Diced Onion
    Parsley
    Old Bay Seasoning
    One egg white
    S & P
    One piece of whole wheat bread into crumbs

Mix the above. Form into 6 patties and freeze onto wax paper for 10 minutes. Cook in skillet with nonfat cooking spray.

I especially love these with couscous and wasabi mayo. For the mayo part, I sub. fat-free Miracle Whip.
  • This is my favourite - marinated salmon the Norwegian way (gravlaks):
    http://www.norway-hei.com/marinated-salmon.html
    A Latvian friend taught me to prepare a less complicated version - thin slices or strips (like carpaccio), onion, black pepper, salt, olive oil; mixed up or layered; store in fridge for several hours; can be served on its own or with any side dish you consider suitable.
  • I'm assuming that this is already cooked? It's great just added to a salad - any kind like you'd use for grilled chicken. Salmon patties are good too.

If it's raw, I usually grill mine on my George Foreman grill, or in nicer weather on my gas grill outside. Big pieces can be baked with or without a sauce. I like one made of equal parts of mayo and sour cream (ff or lf are okay) with lots of dill added - cover and bake til done.
  • I'm with Thighs Be Gone (love that screen name, btw). Salmon cakes are great. My recipe is pretty much the same, but I add a little dijon mustard. Yum. Great way to get your Omega 3s.
  • I love to mince up some garlic & sprinkle parsley on it and then bake it. It's super yummy that way. or if it's in those packs like chicken chunk comes in I usually use it an salad just like I would the chicken. I'm not currently on the South Beach Diet but the Tuna Chopped Salad recipe they have is really really yummy when you put Salmon chunk in instead of the Tuna. It's the recipe with avocado and a bunch of chopped veggies. I think that it's name.
  • MMM, I'm reading and posting right now to avoid snacking... I love salmon. I love salmon sushi and I also get seafood-stuffed salmon from Henry's and do it on the Foreman.
  • Since DH family heritage is NY Jewish, we enjoy bagels, lox (smoked salmon) and cream cheese... Haven't had it in a while, it is a sure treat!

Otherwsie... salmon patties are great or else I broil it in the oven with a little bit of oil, garlic, onions, lemon or white wine (or white balsamic) vinegar, and parsley and a little S+P.
    Sometimes I'll pan-fry it also.
  • I put my salmon on the grill. In aluminium foil.

I just let is marinate in the juice from a lemon or two for several hours.

Then take the foil, put a little of butter/olive oil on it (the length of the fish), put the fish on it. Add on the fish a little of the lemon juice, sprinkle some drops of olive oil and use lemon+pepper seasoning, garlic and parsley seasoning, any other type of multiseasoning, lots of basil. Pack the foil very well to seal in everything, and put it on the grill for 20min.

I make a sauce of: 0% fat yogurt, 2 drops of olive oil, the juice from lemon, and a little of orange (I even put some lemon+orange zest), add black pepper. I put this "sauce" on the salmon and on the veggies next to it. DELICIOUS
  • i've been doing salmon filets in the oven, surrounded by a bunch of veggies- seasoned with olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper and roast the whole thing for 15-20 minutes. yum!

also like to do it in a foil packet on the grill in the summer.
  • Quote: i've been doing salmon filets in the oven, surrounded by a bunch of veggies- seasoned with olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper and roast the whole thing for 15-20 minutes. yum!

also like to do it in a foil packet on the grill in the summer.
    The foil works in the oven too so you don't have to wait for summer to do it.