Meal Replacement and/or protein shake - low in sugar / no corn syrup?

• Hi,

I debated between posting this here in the food section, or in the "diet plan" section. I am really looking for the food items though, not a prescribed plan.

What protein shake / meal replacement / workout recovery shake do you recommend? I am looking for something relatively low in sugar (ok, so I don't want sugar in any form in the top 4 ingredients!) low sodium, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg! Hopefully under $2-3 a shake would be great (it is, after all, a meal replacement).

The ingredients in Slim Fast make me want to avoid that route, and ideally I'd like to be able to buy locally instead of pay for shipping & handling. I live in Seattle.

Thanks in advance!
  • I use Max Muscle High 5.

I don't know if there is a max muscle in Seattle though.

The ingredianets for the cappucino flavor are:

a blend of whey protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, egg white albumen, potassium caseinate, when protein isolate; glycine, cocoa, xanthan gum, caffeine (!), gum acacia, maltodextrin, natural & artificial flavors, acesulfame potassium, and sucralose.

Sounds like a chem set!

The nutrition profile is 118 calories per serving (9 calories from fat)

total fat 1 gram
    saturated fat 1 gram
    cholesterol 28 mg
    sodium 72 mg
    potassium 500 mg
    total carbs 2 gm (1 gm from sugar)
    protein 26 gms
    caffeine 75 mg

The cost at the store I go to is $65 for a 3 lb tub and there are 43 servings per container, so with my math I get $1.51 per serving. (I get a discount at my Max Muscle and you might see if yours has a discount program of some kind---I don't pay $65).
  • Thank you! I will check that out. You're right, it totally sounds like a chemistry set. Oh well, that's why it's a supplement, not the sole source of my nutrients!