Jealousy

• Hey Everyone!
    Does anyone know any really good Bible verses to cope with jealousy? I know that it is terrible to be jealous, and I believe that God has a distinct journey for each of us, but sometimes it is so hard. Yesterday I was shopping for a birthday outfit with my friend, and it was not fun because I felt like nothing was working for me. Than to look at her with a great body and able to try on and find her sizes everywhere just really dampened my mood. I was tempted, but did not break my diet out of frustration or sadness which is great. I just really need some verses, advice, or songs that will lift my spirits.
  • I don't know how religious this is, BUT.....

Love looks through a telescope; envy through a microscope!
  • JEZZLE ~ I wouldn't be so tuff on yourself if I were you; GOD knows that we all want to be healthy, and we also would like to have nice clothes to wear. Right now, I think the most important thing is that you love and accept yourself just the way you are: for GOD LOVES YOU just the way you are ...

While it's true that it isn't wise to obsess about VANITY, there are practical reasons we may need and want to look better (ie, for our jobs and public appearance sake, for our spouses & family, to be a healthy example for others; and most importantly, for our personal confidence and self-respect, to feel comfortable in our bodies, and to be able to pursue activities that interest us, and just plain old, good health).

Whatever the reason(s), you need to be patient with yourself and give it some time. We all may look at those who are slimmer and wonder why they've been so blessed; but to be fair ~ there are likely many reasons why they are that way: some are hereditary; and some are personal choices, and other differences (like lifestyle, etc).

The SERENITY PRAYER comes to mind: "GOD grant me the Serenity, to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference."

Google the Lyrics to the hymn "TRUST and OBEY" . It often comes to mind when dealing with things like impatience and envy ~ here's just the first verse and chorus ...

When we walk with the Lord,
    In the light of His Word,
    What a glory He sheds on our way
    While we do His good will
    He abides with us still
    And with all who will trust & obey

Trust and obey ...
    for there's no other way
    To be happy in Jesus
    but to trust and obey!

Meanwhile, here are a few scripture verses too ...

Isa 26:3 Thou wilt keep him/her in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he/she TRUSTETH in thee.

Ps 143:8 Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I TRUST: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.

Mt 6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? (clothing) Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: Mt 6:29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Mt 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? Mt 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? Mt 6:32 for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. Mt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

So, the bible isn't saying that what you wear or eat isn't important, but that you are not to be anxious about that. Just don't beat yourself up about it. GOD cares about us and knows our needs; but He also wants us to be practical about how we view them, and how we deal with them. I hopes this all helps you in some small way ... Rosebud