Useful kitchen tools

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • What have been some of the most useful kitchen tools that you have used throughout your weightloss? I found that I started using my measuring cups and spoons so much that I went out and purchased another set of each. I figure one day I will be so good at "eye-balling" it that I won't need them that much, but I sure do need them now! And, I just dug out my scale yesterday and started using that.
    I have also been to the Spice House and got a bunch of salt-less seasons to help bring some variety to the basics.
    I would love to hear about what you all have found.
  • Lately I have been moving more toward my scale and away from my measuring utensils. It seems like the scale is more accurate and easier to use. The cups and spoons are great for fluids or powdery things, but for fruits and veggies and similar lumpy things the cups are pretty useless.
  • My
    Scale
    Wok (stir-fry pan)
    Hand blender
    Yogurt maker
    Bread maker
    Rice maker
    Slow cooker
    Single serve containers
  • I use my scale a lot. It took me a bit to get use to but now that I have, I love.
  • I absolutely adore my ULU and wooden bowl. It makes chopping up everything so fast and so fun.
  • My scale (o' course)
    measuring cups
    non-stick frypan (i'll never use oil again....except it the recipe really really needs it)
    small wooden chopping board
    tupperware containers (great for making a week's lunches in advance and freezing them)
  • I agree, my digital kitchen scale has been so helpful, it is really the only way to know how much you are really eating! My Magic Bullet is also great. I use it for low fat fruit smoothies, protein shakes, etc.

Something else I did to help with portion control is I went to Party City and bought a pack of 2 oz. souffle cups and lids. I measure out things in the morning and bring them into work for lunch. I use empty child-proof prescription medication bottles for salad dressing so I don't have to worry about them leaking!
  • In addition to a scale, measuring cups, measuirng spoons, etc... I find that an EGG SEPARATOR is a very handy tool indeed for making scrambled egg whites!
  • Have two sets of measuring cups just like you. Also invested in some great-quality non-stick saute pans. Another little thing I use a lot is my "mini spatula" from Sur La Table. When you are counting calories, every bit of yogurt/sauce/peanut butter/you name it! COUNTS! lol
  • Quote: I absolutely adore my ULU and wooden bowl. It makes chopping up everything so fast and so fun.
    What is a ULU?

Quote: Have two sets of measuring cups just like you. Also invested in some great-quality non-stick saute pans. Another little thing I use a lot is my "mini spatula" from Sur La Table. When you are counting calories, every bit of yogurt/sauce/peanut butter/you name it! COUNTS! lol
    I was measuring out a T. of peanut butter the other night for a snack. DH was in there with me. I couldn't get ALL of the PB out, so I licked the spoon - DH took the oppertunity to crack a joke or two.
  • Scale, measuring spoons and cups, a little hand blender, little plates and bowls (to make smaller portions look bigger), my awesome chef's knife and my microwave have all seen a lot of action since I started losing weight. The microwave rocks for steaming. All the other fancy stuff is fun too - but those are my everyday common diet aids in the kitchen.
  • Quote:
    I was measuring out a T. of peanut butter the other night for a snack. DH was in there with me. I couldn't get ALL of the PB out, so I licked the spoon - DH took the oppertunity to crack a joke or two.
    It DOES all count!!! lol And peanut butter is the hardest to measure and then get it all out. I end making a loose rounded tablespoon and then kind of "flicking it" onto the bread/oatmeal/whatever to get it out!
  • I saw an ep of Martha Stewert where she had these measuring spoons that have a slider thing like an ice cream scoop for scraping everything out. I've never been able to find them, though.
  • I want to get a scale!!! how much are they? can you get them at target or walmart?

but aside from that I too i dug into my measuring cups and measuring spoons that I rarely used before I need to go get a new set because I'm missing my 1/4 cup! haha

also I heart Pam olive oil spray its the only thing I cook with now or I cant believe it's not butter spray if I need too.

love my new non stick frying pans form costco my cutting boards and knifes! and my bamboo wooden spoons from pampered chef!

all my seasoning of course!
  • Check out amazon.com for food scales. They are a pretty good selection.