What do you eat when you feel awful?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I've been feeling queasy and awful since last night (though I'm a little better right now). All of my childhood "sick day" staples are things I don't really want to eat, but I'm struggling to find things that sound mild and comforting to an upset stomach.

What do you turn to when you're just not feeling well?
  • My mother always made tomato soup and toast for me when I was sick...It still makes me feel better. Also rice and raisins with cinnimon and warm milk.
  • Homemade applesauce! Or whole-wheat English muffins with peanut butter.
  • Stick to bland things... applesauce, raisins, crackers

Hope you feel better soon
  • Hmm, what do they say - BART for easy digestion? Bananas, Applesauce, Rice and (dry) Toast?
  • Ginger ale helps my upset stomach. Or ginger beer, which isn't alcoholic but is called that because of the way it is made, I think. It has more ginger.
  • It's probably not low-fat or low-calorie, but a nurse friend of mine talked me into this when I had bronchitis last year.

Instead of a can of Campbell's chicken soup

1 can/package of high-quality chicken broth or stock, preferably homemade or organic from the grocery store
    1 pack of tyson grilled chicken breast strips (pre-cooked, just open and use)
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 package of wide egg noodles

Mix all in a big pan and cook until the noodles are soft. Simple, mostly homemade chicken soup. Lower sodium and much healthy and tastier than prepackaged soups. Makes a large amount, too, so you can feed your whole family or just have soup for a few meals.

Yes, slightly more work than canned soup, but worth it. If you like the garlic, throw in a few more cloves. It really helps with a cough and I think garlic boosts immunity.

I lived on this soup, orange juice, and hot toddies (which I can also give you a great recipe for) for a week last year.
  • Nothing like good old saltines. Low fat version of course.
  • A small tub (140g) of fruit puree - sometimes with a teaspoon of natural LF yoghurt mixed in.
  • toast and ginger ale, though I've also heard flat Coke
  • Thirding the ginger ale. Ginger is the best thing for an upset stomach.
  • Peppermit tea is also always good and soothing.
  • Ginger ale and chicken noodle soup with saltine crackers.
  • Tea. Tea and more tea. In my family (and DH's) tea is the first line of defense against ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.

Ginger does wonders for tummy troubles as does peppermint, like the others said. Ginger ale, tea with ginger, peppermint tea...

I'd try toast and tea personally.
  • Quote: It's probably not low-fat or low-calorie, but a nurse friend of mine talked me into this when I had bronchitis last year.

Instead of a can of Campbell's chicken soup

1 can/package of high-quality chicken broth or stock, preferably homemade or organic from the grocery store
    1 pack of tyson grilled chicken breast strips (pre-cooked, just open and use)
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 package of wide egg noodles

Mix all in a big pan and cook until the noodles are soft. Simple, mostly homemade chicken soup. Lower sodium and much healthy and tastier than prepackaged soups. Makes a large amount, too, so you can feed your whole family or just have soup for a few meals.

Yes, slightly more work than canned soup, but worth it. If you like the garlic, throw in a few more cloves. It really helps with a cough and I think garlic boosts immunity.

I lived on this soup, orange juice, and hot toddies (which I can also give you a great recipe for) for a week last year.
    This sounds like a simple fix even if you are not sick...does it keep in the refridgerator?