~January Golden Girls~

You're on Page 6 of 17
Go to
  • Two more pounds and I will have earned another cheerleader for my siggy.

Had a very busy week and a couple more coming but February should settle down into a routine. In other words, I won't be posting on any kind of regular basis for January. Will read when I can. Thankfully, the kitchen and bathroom will be finished next week and that will help it be less hectic, new countertops on all and new paint.

Bobbi: I do eat oatmeal most mornings, not much of a breakfast eater so I really don't care about variety there.

I, too, have foot problems, had inserts made from a cast by the doc and that helps so much, then buy all my shoes from Foot Solutions as most all of theirs fit inserts.

Everyone have a good Sunday and don't freeze anywhere.
  • Good morning/afternoon.....mumble mumble....wrote a long note and went to post and site shut down for maintence.....Welcome Farmgirl.....that sure is a pretty area where you are....don't know any perfect diet friendly salty/crispy snack. That is my weakness too. I have found that on South Beach after level#1 takes away my sugar toxicity that I don't crave the salty crunchies as much. Since they all break down to simple sugar that maybe my answer. I do have a few ww pretzels occasionally.

I throw off the gained two and lost two more. Funny even knowing that it was a temporary glitch my heart plumeted. And thanks pals for the fine excuses....TOM! GESH!

I direct this coming Friday. So warning you all that Thurs I will be posting, groaning and begging for support while I baked, stir and slice. Saw a Paula Deen recipe for choclate cake with cheese cake filling. I will get a vicarious thrill watching others comsume the zillion calories.

Linda....you were much missed lov....glad you are back.

Lynn must be due home soon

Karen do you have the view on Pike's Peak on the website? That should sell the house in a New York minute!

Can't remember what else I wrote.....hugs, Karen3
  • Hi Farmgirl and welcome. Hope to see you around lots.

Had a pretty good weekend food wise but tonight I sort of over ate a bit. Nothing too disastrous, though. Still didn't get in my exercise but I did go grocery shopping and walked around a couple of stores. I know, not much to brag about there.

I'm going to be baking and decorating a small wedding cake next week. It's for DS's fiance's sister. It's kind of like a practice for the wedding in July. I'm just doing a 2 layer cake for display and another 9x13-inch cake as extra to cut up as well. I haven't done a wedding cake in years so I'm glad I can practice on this one. It's not an actual wedding but a post wedding reception. They were married a few months ago before a judge and now her parents want to give them a reception. I've made dozens of roses from royal icing, more than I'll use I'm sure. Maybe I'll post a picture when I finish the creation. But that won't be until next week. I hope I can keep my tongue out of the icing bowl...sigh...(Not my actual literal tongue but you know what I mean, ha, ha.)
  • Hi There! I hope everyone has had a good day today. I am getting ready to put some chicken on the grill and thought that I would come an say HI!

Karen3-- Yes, I do have pictures of Pikes Peak on the ad on the internet--- along with some of the twin fawns that we had here last Summer. The deer love to run along the fence and drive my poms crazy!! They aren't afraid of much.

It was a VERY quiet weekend here-- the phone only rang once and it was a wrong number!! It has been kind of a lazy day here --I only have 3206 steps in so far so will need to get on the Gazelle after supper for sure!! Need to get at least my 10,000 steps in!

Hello to everyone else and I will try to get back later. Take care.
  • Good Morning . . .

Another six inches of snow hit the ground last night and it looks like there's no susnhine in the books for us today.

For some reason, i seem to be full of energy this morning -- probably an effort to stay warm. Guess I'd better finish up my 3FC 'rounds' and get myself out the to grocery store before I lose this vim and vigour.

Hope everybody has a great day . . .
  • Thanks for the welcomes! I appreciate it.

I have been trying to figure out the best scheule for weighing myself. I used to weigh every day but I don't know if that's best for me, so I might try weighing in twice a week and see how that goes.

The first month of my diet will probably consist of adjusting it, until I'm happy with it. Right now I don't really feel deprived of anything, but I know that's subject to change depending on what's going on and my general mood. I have an anniversary coming up on Sunday - 34 years!!! - so I know we'll go out to dinner and I'll fill up on salad as I usually do, and try to avoid the potatoes which I worship as if they are Deity. <g> I stopped eating starch last week and I'll tell you, it's really tough for me. I'd rather give up chocolate which I heart like mad, than to give up on the starch and bread. Loaded with butter. ::sigh::

It's very cold here - Upstate NY is a bear in winter! - and we're supposed to get hit with another pile of snow and high winds, sometime this week. I usually do the bulk of my writing in the evening but will switch to afternoons, just because I won't want to leave the house. I'm coming up on the end of a manuscript - 3 more chapters and I'm done - so Sunday will celebrate hopefully that as well as the 34-years-thing.

Hope everyone has a great day -

farmgirl
  • Good Morning and welcome farmgalWhat do you write? Juicy novels? Congrats on your upcoming anniversary.
    Below an article on water and whether it should be plain or flavored.
    I personally drink all day long, I fill my 2 Qt. pitcher with water and sip on it all day in addition to a whole pot of coffee and hot tea/cider in the afternoon. It's no wonder I run to the bathroom all day, something I couldn't do if I worked outside the home.
    Our weather this morning is snow and the temps are suppose to hit all time lows so I'll not stick my nose out the door. It's a good thing DH is retired because someone has to go out and feed the chickens and collect eggs.

Quote:

Can other drinks such as diet sodas and herbal tea count towards my 8 glasses of water for the day?

The latest recommendations from the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science, Dietary Reference Intake for Electrolytes and Water say:

"The fluids consumed do not have to be only water. Individuals can obtain their fluids from a variety of beverages and foods. Contrary to popular opinion, consumers do not need to consume 'eight glasses of water a day' to meet their fluid needs."

However my own personal opinion, particularly for people trying to lose weight, is to encourage additional water intake whenever possible. I feel it helps to cleanse the body when weight loss and fat breakdown is occurring. I also know that it helps to keep the hands and mouth busy, so snacking is less. This is a form of behavior modification. I personally know that many people feel better when at least 4-6 glasses of plain old H2O is consumed to help meet total fluid needs.
  • Thanks, Bobbi! And thanks for posting the info about water intake. I've been agonizing over whether or not I'm defeating my own diet by drinking Crystal Lite in my water. We have wonderful water here, but I've always had a hard time drinking enough water, so I put Crystal Lite in the water and that way I can stuff down over 102 oz of it a day. I fill up 16.9 oz water bottles with it and I usually drink 5-6 of those a day. I still drink decaf in the morning - 2 mugs of it - and I quit drinking diet pop. I'm almost past the point of missing it like crazy. Almost. I used to own a drive thru espresso stand and really miss the caramel lattes! My thighs don't miss them though. Okay, maybe a little.

Are you on a farm up there in Minnesota? Your weather would be as bad as ours in the winter, maybe worse. We lived in Alaska before we moved here, and nothing's worse than that, LOL. It's around 40 below up there right now.

I write erotica. Truly.

Keep warm!

farmgirl
  • I had to go back and check the week-ends chat.
    Sue...What is the Foot Solutions? Is it a store I can check out online or is that a local thing? As long as I don't walk outside, my feet stay pretty pain free. It's a good thing we live on an acreage because our English Setter needs lots of exercise, walking down a gravel road would be fun for him but very bad for my feet.
    Quote:
    I, too, have foot problems, had inserts made from a cast by the doc and that helps so much, then buy all my shoes from Foot Solutions as most all of theirs fit inserts.
    I just heard the weather, we're getting 2 - 5 inches today. This afternoon 40 mile an hour winds, total white outs for travelers and 15 to 35 below zero. Do I love Minnesota weather, you bets ya!
    Hi Karen31, I don't know what or where you posted something in your instant messenger to me? Clue me in and I love your avatar picture!
    Meowee...Hang in there honey, our old bones are hearty and used to this weather. I love looking out the window when it's snowing and blowing, right now the snow is coming down sideways, from the east to the west. Makes me feel all warm and toasty, my mom loved this kind of weather and always warmed the kitchen up with homemade bread and soup. Us kids would bake cookies and fudge that never set.
    Quote:
    For some reason, i seem to be full of energy this morning -- probably an effort to stay warm.
    Isabella...You're a jack of all trades aren't you. I took a cake decorating class many years ago and loved it. All Tiffany's birthday parties had fantastic cakes, my relatives all had me make cakes for them too. One year I made a three tier wedding cake out of styrofoam and frosting for a wedding display in our local mall. Do you get that t.v. show called 'Ace of Cakes'? They personalize all kinds of cakes for customers. Yesterday they made a Harley Davidson cake for a customer and another customer a bottle of Pinot wine with grapes around the bottom for the base. I was thinking what a fun job that would be to work for them. How did you get started?
    Karen3, what da ya mean a glitch? I'd say congrats!
    Quote:
    I throw off the gained two and lost two more. Funny even knowing that it was a temporary glitch my heart plumeted.

I have a desk calendar of Maxine and her jokes, today's joke fits the weather, Maxine says: ONE GOOD THING ABOUT THE WINTER...WHEN YOUR WHOLE BODY TURNS BLUE, IT'S HARDER TO SPOT THE VARICOSE VEINS.
  • Welcome nyfarmgirl, glad you could join us.
    Yes Bobbi, today is a day for sitting at my kitchen table enjoying the "view" of the snow falling. I know I'll have to venture out soon to replenish the sunflower seeds and suet in the birdfeeders. But, that is as far as I go today! Glad we didn't get your 6" of white stuff Linda.

Congrats on your future cheerleader addition Sue!

I agree with Karen3 on the cravings. When you take the carbs and sugars out of your diet you don't crave them anymore. I think they say it takes about 3 weeks for the cravings to go away, but there is a great drop in cravings after just a few days.

Isabella, walking is walking whether it's around the block or in a few stores. Have fun with your cake decorating. I also took a class when my kids were young. They didn't care what the cake looked like, they just loved the buttercream frosting.

Thanks for the info on the pedometer Karen31. I read about it and will have to check that one out. Mine is the FreeStyle that I clip to my belt, I replaced another FreeStyle that I had for about 10 years and had dropped one day on a concrete floor. They make funny noises after they're dropped. I loved my old one, but the new one is not as accurate.

Lily
  • Hello Losers,
    Hope everyone's day is going well. Waiting on the repair person for the washer, got the garage door fixed and nursing the dishwasher along.....it's attack of the appliances here.
    I'm doing well staying OP despite peanut noodles and wine<----would have loved a glass but no drinkin until I'm no longer obese.....it may be a LONG time before I can have any....hopefully by August.
    Welcome to nyfarmgirl....erotica<----bodice rippers or more juicy stuff
    How do you keep from laughing when you write that spicy stuff??? I have to confess, I do enjoy reading those racy novels. Private message me and tell me how to find your work<-----don't think they would want you to post it on the boards as it might be construed as "advertising".
    Bobbi----love those Maxine jokes, they remind me of my grandma, such a character.
    Sheila, glad to hear you are feeling better.
    Waiting for my DD to get home from school and then it's off to the treadmill and weights.
    Stay warm!
    Eileen
  • Good Morning Everyone,

Hi to old friends & welcome to new folks. I'm back from France & need some serious re-focusing. My bones are aching & I've gained 7 pounds since I last posted!

Will be back later today - after I get some of my zillion tasks finished - and read this month's posts.

Hope everyone had a gread holiday season,

Lynn
  • Morning all....wow I think I have developed a Lynn radar! Asked about her and up she popped! Welcome back. We need a full travel report.

I had the longest morning on record yesterday. 1st discovered why DH hated the new phones and couldn't work them like old system. I had forgotten to program in the numbers on #2 and #3. Did that and then called Norton. "Bob" in India and I had a long distance relationship for over an hour. He kept saying to me enter "i" and when I did he'd go no "i"....."i" like in ralph! At one point Bob was running my cp from India. That is so weird. All better now. Then went to complain at the stand that the oranges/grapefruit still haven't arrived. Got everything done and off to bridge by 11:30.

Thanks you all for winter. There is a cold front barrelling thru here. It is pouring rain right now and we needed it so bad. But temps will drop and may have a frost tonight. That is a problem as strawberries are ripe.

Yup, had a tiny cheat last week. Ate a few of those berries. Sliced them into sf ff chocolate pudding. Best strawberries ever! Hugs, Karen3
  • Good Morning all,

It's snowing like crazy outside, adding to the already piled up snow. We're supposed to get another 4 inches and then some.

Hi Farmgirl. Happy to meet you. You write? How wonderful! Anything I might have read? And, I read everything. PM me too with some of your work, if you don't mind. And, how in the world did you get started?

Welcome home Lynn. Can't wait to hear about your trip. 8 pounds? You know that french food is deadly!!

Karen3, YUM!! fresh strawberries? That's a cheat? Not much of a cheat there lady!

Eileen, So glad i don't have to call you fluffy anymore. When it rains it pours for your appliances, huh? Everything went all at once! Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

Lilly and Bobbi, Add me to the list of people just sitting and looking out the window at the snow. I need to go to the bank today, don't know if i'm going to make it or not!

Isabella, Keep those fingers out of that icing!! Now, I know that will help you stay OP. ha!! I always envy people with talent, since I have none myself, Yes. please send a picture when you're finished! But, I might end up licking the screen!

Freda
  • Good Morning, .......................brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr It was 46 below zero this morning with wind chills. DH and 'Charlie' (English Setter) are outside blowing snow out of the driveway. DH is bundled up but Charlie doesn't wear boots I can't imagine why he loves romping in the snow other than he loves being outside. I've got a busy day ahead of me so I best get at it. Bruce just let Charlie in, guess he's had enough of the freezing temps,
    he's curled up for a quick nap.
    Welcome home Lynn and I'd love to see a picture of your cake Isabella and farmgirl, let us know what you've had published.