~January Golden Girls~

You're on Page 5 of 17
Go to
  • Karen3, must be TOM. Wouldn't that blow your mind? It's probably some kind of water retention or you're in a heavy gravity area.

Fluffy, you'll get used to all the chicks here on this thread. Don't worry if you don't answer everyone individually we'll all understand. Even the long time chickens don't always reply individually.

Freda, I know what you mean about full fat milk. It's like drinking whipping cream after drinking skim milk for so long. Actually, we had some 1% milk in the frig when DS and DIL were here and I had some on my cereal and that felt really creamy in my mouth. When I want a creamy feel to my oatmeal I stir in plain yogurt with the brown sugar and that's really good. Now I want oatmeal and it's nearly midnight.

Is the wind ever blowing hard tonight. The house cooled right down and I had to go put the fire in again. Usually, if the house is warm enough we just leave the fire out at night and sleep in the cooler temperature but tonight I thought the temperature would drop too low in the house without the furnace blowing out hot air. There are wind warnings for parts of the province. We had snow, then hail, then rain and then mild temperatures and now wind. The roads are icy and the salt/sand truck just went by about an hour ago. We have had an amazing lack of snow so far. Just a few snowfalls so far but I'm sure we'll see tons of the white stuff before May rolls around (yes, I said May).

Didn't get in any exercise today but will probably do some tomorrow.

OK, now I'm too hot, got to turn off the blower on that furnace. Catch you all tomorrow.
  • Hello GG's!! I thought that I would pop in for a minute. I didn't get any exercise (other than cleaning house) in today. I wanted to get my house in the "SHOW AND SELL" mode since the weekend is coming up and figured I would get on the Gazelle this evening. Now I think I might be getting that "bug" that is going around.. My tummy is doing flip flops.. Hopefully I will be fine in the morning and I hope I see a LOSS on the scales in the morning. Take care and will catch you all tomorrow.
  • Good Morning Girls!
    We have a very snowy day this am and it'll continue all day, what fun for the snowmobilers and kids. I get daily jokes from my friend from Van Couver and the joke she sent me today made me think of my fellow Minnesota gal, Lily. No offense Lily! You are a true blond, right?

Quote:
    A very understanding husband

One winter morning during breakfast a husband and wife in Minnesota were
    listening to the radio. They heard the announcer say, "We are going to have 8 to 10 inches of snow today. You must park your car on the even-numbered side of the street, so the snowplows can get through." So the wife went out and moved her car.
    A week later while they are eating breakfast again, the radio announcer
    said, "We are expecting 10 to 12 inches of snow today. You must park your car on the odd-numbered side of the street, so the snowplows can get
    through." The wife went out and moved her car again.
    The next week they are again having breakfast, when the radio announcer
    says, "We are expecting 12 to 14 inches of snow today. You must park..."
    Then the electric power went out. The wife was very upset, and with a
    worried look on her face she said, "Honey, I don't know what to do. Which
    side of the street do I need to park on so the snowplows can get through?"

With the love and understanding in his voice that all men who are married
    to blondes exhibit, the husband replied, "Why don't you just leave it in
    the garage this time?"
  • Good Morning GG's,

It's still cold here but at least we didn't get any more snow. Just rain that froze on the road, leaving us with black ice! They got the salt out very quickly though, so the roads weren't that bad, just had to watch for spots that might have been missed.

Karem3. Doesn't that make you so MAD!! You do eveything right and the scale just doesn't do what it's supposed to do! I'm sure you will see a loss though, probably just "TOM". ha!

Isabella, I love oatmeal too. I have it often but I really doctor it up. Brown sugar, raisins or craisins, splenda, cinnamon, sometimes a chopped apple,,,yum!

Karen, Hope you'e feeling better today. Lots of nasty stuff going around out there.

Bobbi, thanks for the jokes. Gets our day off to a good start.

Make it a good day, Freda
  • Good day ladies.
    The kids are back in school....hooray! The roads are a little slick with ice. I have to go to the gyn....blah. Oh well, need to be sure all the pieces parts are doing ok.
    Bobbi, good joke. My daughter attends Macalester College in St. Paul. She is a junior this year....They are on semester so they get a LONG winter break. This year it started Dec. 18th and she doesn't have to return until Jan. 25th (they had to start a week early due to the Republican National Convention). So good to have her home.
    I need to get some exercise in today. Otherwise I'm doing well with my program.
    Have a great day ladies!
  • Good Morning, I do feel better this morning. I hope it was just a touch of a stomach bug and is gone now! I weighed this morning and have lost 3 pounds this last week.!! YAY! Now I need to get a few things done around here and get back on the Gazelle today!! Take care everyone and I will try to get back later.
  • Hello!
    Good to hear you're feeling better Karen31, and your weight loss is great. I like the idea of tracking steps instead of minutes or miles that you do on your "Accountability" post. I used to wear a step counter every day and check it half way through the day to make sure I was getting my steps in. It really helped when I spent 90% of the day sitting behind a desk at work. Do you shoot for 10,000 steps daily? I read somewhere that was the goal.

Eileen, as far as keeping track of what people were saying on here, some of the "girls" used to open their notepad on their computer and take notes when they were reading posts. That way they would have an easier time of responding to specific posts. Seems like there were a lot more people back then but, it's like being the new person at work - everyone remembers your name, but you don't know who the heck you just met behind office door #4. Hope your daughter is keeping warm at her college in St. Paul. I live in a southern suburb of Mpls. and St. Paul. Macalester is a great college in a wonderful area.

Freda, hope you are able to get out and about on those roads. What always scares me is the people who drive like it's still summer.

Thanks Bobbi, that joke was funny. I have to confess that I am not a true blond. Cher and I have decided that we couldn't fight the grays anymore so we went blond. My hair is actually a combination of blond, light brown and gray but looks more blond in the lighting. I was a brunette in my younger years. But, that joke could fit me.....

Karen3 - are you OK?? I'm in agreement with the others. Maybe you got waterlogged in the pool.

Hello to everyone else and have a good weekend everyone!

Lily
  • Hi there . . .

Same old junk going on around here -- another nasty storm has come and gone -- this one gave us a bit of everything and rotated through snow, freezing rain, rain, freezing rain, and finally back to snow. I'm really getting tired of this and it's only the early part of January.

Finally dared the scales and will move my ticker up to 215, so up three from where I was at the end of November. Could be worse, I guess, but it could be a lot better too.

Keep fighting the god fight, gang . . .
  • Have a great weekend......I'll check back with you all on Monday.
  • Good Morning!
    This article is a repeat but worth reading again. I'm pretty good at re-heating leftovers in glass casseroles/plates but I didn't know you were suppose to remove food that comes pre-packaged in cling wrap? I can't think of what their talking about unless it's meat in syrofoam containers with cling wrap over them? I make most everything from scratch and don't buy pre-packaged foods unless it's around holiday time.
    Now that I'm on this subject, is it safe to store bread in the plastic containers as long as you don't microwave it. Sometimes I'll take a frozen loaf out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave. I'd be lost without zip lock bags, they are so convenient to marinate meat in. Yikes, the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Quote:
    How safe is it to microwave in plastic?
    It’s not uncommon to see people microwaving leftovers in plastic dishes, heating up meals in the plastic containers they come in, or placing plastic wrap over foods to protect from splatters. Is all this as innocent as it seems?
    I don’t think so. While plastic has many terrific uses, when it comes to cooking it should be avoided. DEHA [di-(2-ethylhexyl)adipate], sometimes found in cling wrap, and other chemicals commonly found in plastic are potential endocrine disrupters, and can negatively influence hormonal activity. While studies are underway to determine the health risks associated with plastics, it is best to steer clear of using plastic and plastic wrap in the microwave, as the heat can drive plastic molecules into your food. Instead use glass or ceramic containers and cover foods with waxed paper or a paper towel. I also suggest avoiding pre-packaged foods that come in cling wrap (if you do, transfer to a different storage container once you get home).
  • Good Morning . . .

BOBBI -- What I think they may be referring to is using things like empty margarine containers to reheat food in the microwave and just covering the top of any container with ordinary plastic wrap to prevent spatters. Any kind of plastic used in the microwave can be dangerous unless it is specifically formulated for the purpose. I also worry about a lot of the prepackaged 'frozen-dinner type' of containers too.

Nothing too exciting around here this morning -- we are supposed to be getting a couple of days of mostly clear and sunny weather BUT right now there is a bit of white fluff falling out of the sky. Next storm is predicted to come through Sunday night.

Have a great Saturday everybody . . .
  • Hello everyone. It's quiet here today.

We, DH and I, just got back from his aunt's 65th birthday party. I ate very lightly and only had one soda to drink-maybe less than one, actually. It was held at a club and there was a dj who played very LOUD music. I had to stuff little balls of tissue in my ears and it was still way too loud. People were yelling back and forth trying to hold a conversation but it was almost impossible to hear anyone talk. There were a few dancing-mostly women. We left after his aunt opened her gifts. It was almost 11 o'clock and they were still going strong. I guess I'm no party animal, ha, ha.

I had success on the scales this morning with a 5 pound loss for the week. I know this will not happen again so I'll be happy next week with a pound or two. I'm almost back to my pre-Christmas weight so that's great. Can't wait to start on "new" fat loss.
  • Good evening Ladies:

I'm new here and I hope you don't mind if I check in with you. You all sound very nice!

I'm farmgirl and I just joined today. I'm 54, married, live on a farm in Upstate NY. Am following through with my resolution to get the menopausal weight off, and I sure could use some good support and advice!

I do all right during the day as far as dieting goes. I'm busy and I eat very small meals, and I eat three to four times a day. I exercise five days a week.

The tough time for me is in the evenings. I write, and I am on the computer in the evening after hubby goes to bed. I get the bulk of my writing done then, and unfortunately that's also the time when I want to nibble on stuff that I usually can easily avoid during the day. I will always have a tough time with this, so if anyone knows of a nibble snack - something that would satisfy my need for savory/salty/crunchy - and wouldn't damage my diet, I'd love to hear about it. One of my downfalls is crackers, I simply love them and can't stay away from them. Any advice would be welcome. I do eat nuts and of course love them, but seem to crave the gluten snacks more.

Thanks!

farmgirl

• And glad to have you joining us NYFARMGIRL. You've definitely come to the right place for ongoing support and encouragement. My experience is almost the complete opposite of yours -- I love to be sitting at the computer because I find it so difficult to nibble when my fingers are busy typing -- just proves that everybody is different I guess.

We had a gorgeous sunrise this morning but things changed pretty rapidly. It looks like tonight's promised storm may decide to move in a little early. Oh well, what can you do?

Have a great dayn . . .
  • Good Morning and nyfarmgirl!!! It is kind of cold here this morning too --right now we are sitting at 22 degrees. So far we haven't had a lot of snow, in fact I don't think the ground has really been completely covered at all this year! KNOCK ON WOOD!! I know we will end up paying for it sooner or later.

Lilly, I do try to get 10,000 steps in everyday. I bought a Omron HJ-112 pedometer and I love using it. Yesterday I went over the 10,000 and that was good too! I cleaned house real good yesterday and found that I had taken 4235 steps just doing that!!

We've sure had a lot of activity on the house ad that is online--but nobody has been here in the last week or so. I am still trying to be patient!

Well, not really much news from here.. Meowee--- glad to see you back on line. We missed you.