~January Golden Girls~

You're on Page 13 of 17
Go to
  • Good Morning, Everyone,

Nothing special planned for today. Guess I'll make my soup, do my course, and get my place ready for visitors (my Southern cousins arrive tomorrow - we're staying at my DD's B&B, but they may decide to come over here to do some scrapbooking in my scrapbook room).

Check back later,

Lynn
  • Quote: Lynn, can I be your northern cousin?? That sounds like one fine week that you've all planned.
    Have a good day.
    Hi Isabella,

I'm afraid the snow might cut into our plans. They will be thrilled - they LOVE to see snow - but we may have to stick closer to homebase.

Lynn

PS - you can CERTAINLY be my Northern cousin! I already consider you and the rest of the Golden Girls my family.

• Another very cold but lovely and sunny day. Hope you all have a great Monday. yes:
  • I can't find the posts about members here who suffer with the plantar fasciitis (don't remember how to spell it) and heel spurs, but this happened to me several months ago. Really painful and I was afraid I would have to have surgery.But I read that surgery is a last ditch option. First the doctors will tell you to do 2 things -- lose weight and stop going bare foot!I was telling my sister about it and she had the sameproblem, and got some flip flops, problem solved! So I started wearing flip flops all the time instead of going barefoot especially around the house like I did almost my whole life.

In just about 2 or 3 months, the pain has almost completely vanished! Rarely anymore does it flare up and that's only if I've been going barefoot or else wearing shoes that don't have any cushioning insert.

So I wanted to mention that in case it helps any of you too. It's hard to get used to because I'm a Southern gal and love to go barefoot!But wearing the soft cushy flip flops most of the time now sure has helped in a very wonderful way. I get the cheap soft rubber flip flops like at the dollar store, buy a few pairs at a time. I've only worn out a couple of pairs in maybe 6 months so pretty cheap cure! I still have the big cushy pair my sister sent me but the rubber is harder and not as comfortable as the cheap ones.
  • Good Morning everyone! I thought that I would let you know that I have deleted my accountability post for this month. I really seemed to get offf track BUT now I am getting back on. BUT with this house deal coming up I don't want to hold a space for me if I'm not going to have the time to post. We may end up going to MO. very soon and it will be a whirlwind trip if we do. Will have lots to while there and if all goes well will be coming back to Colorado to finish packing up and get things moved back there by the end of February.

I'm still going to be working on my diet and exercise and will post as I can when I have access. Just wanted to let y'all know. I will let you know as soon as we hear some news on the house.

Take care and will try to get back later.
  • Hello Ladies,
    I'm still hanging in there OP, despite having the in-laws over for dinner last nite and having to refuse wine, peach pie and turtle cheese cake. Well, it seems the more I say "NO" the easier it gets.....I just made a chocolate muffin that I'm allowed on my WOE. I was happy. I also am pretty proud of myself....I'm doing low carb but couldn't find any low carb yogurt....so I got out my yogurt maker and experimented.....seemed a bit runny warm, but is much better after refrigeration. Yay!
    Karen, crossing fingers that you will be moving soon....
    I've had that planter faceitis or however you spell it on and off since I was pregnant.....what a pain! You just have to try different things and find what works for you AND you need patience too, it takes awhile. Hang in there.
    Sissy watch those flip flops on the wet....my skinny hairdresser wiped out on a slick spot outside her church (dashing to catch a door before it closed) and really messed up her pelvis/back<----in so much pain she had to get an ambulance poor thing! You can really hydroplane in those hummers....but I'm with you, love em in the summer!
    Welcome to the new posters!
    I've got to dash. I'm taking my mom-in-law shopping...she's got Alzheimers and it need to get her out and about.
    Have a great Monday you LOSERS!
    Eileen
  • Eileen...I've made my own yogurt for years and I find if I leave it for 11 hours in the yogurt maker it turns out perfect. Last week I read where someone put a tad of guar gum in it before pouring into the containers.
    Quote:
    so I got out my yogurt maker and experimented.....seemed a bit runny warm, but is much better after refrigeration. Yay!
    Lynn...thanks for the butternut soup recipe, I printed it and will make tomorrow. It sounds delicious and the calories are low. I just checked my pantry, no roasted red peppers. How important is that? Can I substitue frozen red peppers if I take the skin off after defrosting?
    Karen31...Why don't you post the coffee filter email you sent me. I've read it before but have forgotten some of it. I'm going to print that up too before I delete it. Thanks.
  • Here You Go!!

COFFEE FILTERS

Coffee filters ..who knew! And you can buy 1,000 at the Dollar Tree for almost nothing.

1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave.
    Coffee filters make excellent covers.

2. Clean windows and mirrors. Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll leave windows sparkling.

3. Protect China
    . Separate your good dishes by putting a coffee filter between each dish.

4. Filter broken cork from wine. If you break the cork when opening a wine bottle, filter the wine through a coffee filter.

5. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.

6. Apply shoe polish. Ball up a lint-free coffee filter.

7. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.

8. Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.

9. Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.

10. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent
    the soil from going through the drainage holes.

11. Prevent a Popsicle from dripping. Poke one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter.

12. Do you think we used expensive strips to wax eyebrows? Use strips of coffee filters.

13. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them.
    Soaks out all the grease.

14. Keep in the bathroom. They make great "razor nick fixers."

OH YEAH THEY ARE GREAT TO USE IN YOUR COFFEE MAKERS
  • Oh, what a great list for coffee filters. Whenever I see them at the store they remind me of giant cupcake papers. I've used them to strain oil when I used a deep fryer.

Must go and remove Christmas runner from coffee table before tomorrow comes.
  • Quote: Eileen...I've made my own yogurt for years and I find if I leave it for 11 hours in the yogurt maker it turns out perfect. Last week I read where someone put a tad of guar gum in it before pouring into the containers.

Lynn...thanks for the butternut soup recipe, I printed it and will make tomorrow. It sounds delicious and the calories are low. I just checked my pantry, no roasted red peppers. How important is that? Can I substitue frozen red peppers if I take the skin off after defrosting?
    Karen31...Why don't you post the coffee filter email you sent me. I've read it before but have forgotten some of it. I'm going to print that up too before I delete it. Thanks.

Hi Bobbi,

I just made more today. I don't even add the red peppers. Not important for me. Today's batch does have marjoram. I don't taste a lot of difference. I think I used nutmeg last time.

Lynn
  • Here's a picture of the wedding cake I baked and decorated for a weekend reception. I'm sure I mentioned it a time or ten.

• WOW! So Beautiful!!! I wish I had that kind of talent!! It is really Fantastic!!
  • Quote: Here's a picture of the wedding cake I baked and decorated for a weekend reception. I'm sure I mentioned it a time or ten.

WOW! That is beautiful! Can you make one that's sugar free (just in case I ever decide to get married again)?

Lynn
  • Good Morning,

Another lovely, cold day. the snow is packed as hard as ice and the drive way is ice, in spite of all the salt that DH has put out there.

To all of you that make your own yogurt, I applaude you. My one attempt was less than productive. It was downright terrible. You have given me new resolve to try it again. any tips?

Isabella, Ok, now I'm licking the screen. At least it doesn't have any calories, but not much taste either!

They showed how to roast red peppers last nigth on TV. Really easy, in the oven. But i don't think they would be totally needed for the soup either. Sounds like it would be great without them.

Eileen, You showed a lot of determination turning down all those sweets. You rock girl!!!

EVeryone, make it a good day

Freda
  • Good morning Everyone,

My cousins come into town today. I've rented a min-van to use while they're here. I pick them up at the airport this afternoon.

Wish me luck at eating healthily & exercising during the next 4 days. I'll be back here on Saturday.

Lynn