Baby Cockatiel update

• Well Noel is doing fine and hearty, unfortunately Christmas (the first hatched) may not last to the endof the week. I'm doing all that I can (short of bringing to the vet, which I cannot afford). I will be going out today to buy some crop needles (a blunted needle that you insert through the mouth directly into the crop to feed). It seems to be the only way to get the little one to eat.

Here's some pictures

Christmas at 2 weeks old He's a very stubborn eater and I cannot get more than a few dropfuls into his mouth at a time. His crop is barely filled

Noel at 1 week old Mom and dad feed Noel... A LOT! His crop looks EXTREMELY full

• good luck...sorry to hear christmas isn't doing well..but sometimes it is a matter or survival of the fittest...
  • yeah. I went to the vet and they refused me the crop needles. They told me he is too small and that if will only do more harm than good, and to carry on feeding him as I am. She told me he will survive if it's ment to be.
  • Try a local pet shop that sells birds. They may do hand feeding and have some on hand. Make sure what you feed them is not too hot.
  • I checked with them before I went to the Vet's office. I spent a good part of the day phoning all the pet store chains too.

I have a candy thermometer to keep track of the food. It's usually between 102 and 105 degrees when I feed. He still hates it

I ended up buying a heating lamp and shone it on the bottom of the cage... Christmas started whining like mad, then mom and dad filled him up to keep him quiet Maybe he just needed more heat.
  • CHristmas ate a whole syringe full from me today!! YAY!

Noel's eyes are opening

He is using his newly aquired skills to hiss at everyone and everything that moves Then proceeds to follow daddy around the cage.
  • Looks like there is no longer any need for Crop needles. Christmas took his fill

And the little stinker pooped. I didn't notice until I saw the picture so large... then realized I Had my arm sitting in it. lil devil
  • I'm glad Christmas is doing better, but he (she?) has an eerie resemblance to a chia pet in your last photo. Sorry if I offend, I'm sure he'll grow to be a beautiful chick!
  • Quote: I'm glad Christmas is doing better, but he (she?) has an eerie resemblance to a chia pet in your last photo. Sorry if I offend, I'm sure he'll grow to be a beautiful chick!
    LOL No offence taken - they are quite ugly as chicks!!! What's the saying... "So ugly they're cute"