My manly legs

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I agree that it is more of a body type thing. I mean I have big legs, huge thighs, and hips. My calves are chunky, but I've always been like that so I'm focused on getting the fat off and building that muscle.

But then again, having shapely legs can really make your shapely body look great, soo they aren't a bad thing.
  • Yep, I agree about the big calves being a body type. I'm another big hip, thigh and calf girl. Always have been, even when I was slim in high school. I've always had a terrible time finding boots. Are you an apple shape or a pear? If you are an apple maybe there is more hope for your calves slimming down.
  • I have very muscular legs and my exercise is lots and lots of running and cycling -- so I'm not sure pure cardio will break them down.

I've never measured and I can't find a tape right now, but there are pictures on my blog (scroll to bottom of page)...
  • Hey, I've found that if you're looking for more feminine legs it's better to work your hamstrings rather than your quads because hamstrings give definition without having those really muscly looking thighs.
  • I have THICK legs and I really don't like them at all. I do not wear skirts or shorts but am trying to rethink my whole leg issue. I run every morning and I think my legs are looking more defined. I actually love the way my hip bones and hips look. I think someone here used the word, "dangerous". Funny, that's how I feel when I look at that part of me. I try to find jeans that show off this part of me rather than my thick thighs and calves. So, as of this morning my thighs are 22.25 and the widest part of my calf is 16! If anyone has any tips on how to slim this area, please share them. It is a problem that has plagued me all of my life.
  • FWIW I would rather have "manly" legs than chicken legs.
  • Sweet Talker, give me some ideas for hamstring exercises.
  • I'm getting sick of my huge calves as well. Right now they are 16". I think I started out at 17-18 (don't have my book with me). They have quite a bit of muscles, but I want cute calves like my Mom has.
  • I'm gonna go see if I can find a measuring tape and measure my calves!... hold on. Now you all got me curious.
  • My calves are a whopping 20 inches.....
  • Luvja - that's not terrible! Seriously, you look awesome in the photos you share.

The problem with posting measurements is that you see everyone else's version of 'huge'. I remember this discussion when I first started losing weight and seeing someone say that their 15" calves or whatever were huge. Curious, I checked mine and was horrified to see that I had elephant measurements compared to that.

It's all relative, ya know? Everyone's proportions are soooosososososo different.
  • i had to go get my tape measure and check mine too.

After I started my weight loss journey, I remember being very happy when I could fit my calves into my rain boots. Little victories!