MRC Couch to 5K Info

You're on Page 1 of 31
Go to
  • Hey there ladies. I think there's a 3FC C25K thread, but I thought since so many of us MRC'rs are going to try it we could have our own thread.

So, this is the opening. I'll post HI here and reply with my own info below!
  • Okay, so I think I'm on week 4. I started back last week (after almost a month off). I ran one day on my Thanksgiving week cruise and that was on the treadmill in the ship gym and I was wobbling all over that thing b/c the seas were so rough, but looking out the front of the ship while running was AWESOME!

I ran last week just once and this week I've run 3 days in a row and am loving it.

Monday I ran this schedule:
    Walk 5, run 3, walk 2 run 3, walk 2, run 4 and walk 2 run 6. That way I got the 16 minutes in that week 4 calls for.

Tuesday I ran the correct C25K schedule: 5 Minute warm up..then this:
    * Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
    * Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
    * Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
    * Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
    * Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
    * Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
    * Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

I do all my running/walking on a treadmill in the gym. I don't like the concrete, I can't run the neighborhood with a water bottle and don't like being without one and I just don't have any good places to run that are easy to get to (other than the gym).

Today I ran this just to see what I could do.

Walked about 12.5 minutes (I was on the phone and didn't get off when the 5 minute mark rolled around).

Ran until I couldn't go anymore just to see how long I could go.

I RAN 15 MINUTES!!!! WOOHOO!! That was encouraging.

Then I walked 3 more and ran 5 more and then walked 3 more. I ended up being on the treadmill for 43:13 minutes! That's more than normal for me.

I walk @ 3.7 mph and I run @ 4.9 mph. I listen to music and keep my towel, water and inhaler handy.

Okay, so that's my info. Post away. I'd love to here info, advice, tips from anyone.
  • Hi everyone! I'm excited that so many are talking about starting up after the holidays. Hopefully we can all encourage each other to keep going!

I found this website that has links to the official training schedule and podcasts: www.c25k.com

Rocki, you are such an overachiever, LOL. Don't burn yourself out! I really do look forward to the next run which is just crazy.

As for me...I completed Day 2 of Week 4 today. I really felt like i was pushing myself to near a limit and I loved that. It's the challenge that I like most about C25K. I'm hoping it will firm up the belly jelly too I also run on a treadmill. My walking speed is somewhere between 3.2-3.5 depending on how winded I am from the previous run, and I jog at 5-5.5 mph.
  • I just did day 1 today. I was wondering about the speeds myself. I did 4 mph for walking and 6 mph for jogging. It wasn't too difficult while I was doing it, but my muscles are already a bit sore.

I'm doing personal training sessions starting tomorrow-- my husband's company has a gym, and they're free, so I'm taking advantage of it. I mentioned it to him today, but I don't know if he'll have me do that or something else.

I told him I'd like to lose about 20 lbs...and the irony totally struck me. For once in my life, I really only need to lose 20 lbs. I didn't tell him that I'd already lost 50, lol. I don't think I'll talk about it unless it comes up. I know what I've lost is a big accomplishment, but part of me likes pretending I was never actually that overweight.
  • Quote: I just did day 1 today. I was wondering about the speeds myself. I did 4 mph for walking and 6 mph for jogging. It wasn't too difficult while I was doing it, but my muscles are already a bit sore.

I'm doing personal training sessions starting tomorrow-- my husband's company has a gym, and they're free, so I'm taking advantage of it. I mentioned it to him today, but I don't know if he'll have me do that or something else.

I told him I'd like to lose about 20 lbs...and the irony totally struck me. For once in my life, I really only need to lose 20 lbs. I didn't tell him that I'd already lost 50, lol. I don't think I'll talk about it unless it comes up. I know what I've lost is a big accomplishment, but part of me likes pretending I was never actually that overweight.
    Wow--that's so great you get free personal training sessions! You'll have to share all the tips you get with us As for speeds, the program says to run for time or distance (I do time) but not to worry about speed. Just do whatever is comfortable for you.
  • count me in for beginning in January!
  • Count me in after the holidays! I always hated to run, but want to love it.
  • Quote: count me in for beginning in January!
    Wow! That's 5 of us starting in January for sure! Shineon, dla, BonnieMcC, michellemybelle & me. Want2LiveLife was a maybe. Not to mention the people who've already started. We'll have great support for each other! I'm excited & can't wait to give it a try! Anyone else want to commit?
  • I'm in....I'm planning to use the next couple of weeks to "precondition".

I will start week 1 on January 4th. I'm looking forward to this in a weird sort of way!
  • I downloaded the Podcasts for weeks 4-9 on my Ipod. I'll use it for the first time tomorrow. I want to workout at the gym today instead of running (well, actually, I PREFER to run over the workout, but I NEED to do the workout instead).

I'm glad there are so many here joining the C25K regime! WOOHOO!!
  • I am scared to death to start this running program at 266 pounds. That's why I am taking the next couple of weeks to get my walking speed up and get in gear. This is really pushing my comfort level!
  • I woke up early so I could do my workout before hubby went to work...I am sooo not a morning person. But I'm sure glad it's out of the way so I could focus on getting ready for Christmas today. I completed Week 4 but it was tough this morning. I may repeat another day or two of week 4 before starting on week 5. Of course, I said that about week 3 to 4, and was glad that I pushed on. So we'll see I'm taking the weekend off and will hit it again Monday!
  • Hey Kim!

I finished week 4 today as well. I went around 8am to get it over with. It was hard for me too. I was surprised at that esp after the 15 run the other day. I thought this 3rd session would have been a breeze but it wasn't. I might try session 1 of week 5 tomorrow, but I was also feeling like you in that maybe I should do one more run from session 4. I guess I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow afternoon. If I don't go tomorrow it won't be until Monday afternoon instead.

Quote: I woke up early so I could do my workout before hubby went to work...I am sooo not a morning person. But I'm sure glad it's out of the way so I could focus on getting ready for Christmas today. I completed Week 4 but it was tough this morning. I may repeat another day or two of week 4 before starting on week 5. Of course, I said that about week 3 to 4, and was glad that I pushed on. So we'll see I'm taking the weekend off and will hit it again Monday!
  • Quote: Hey Kim!

I finished week 4 today as well. I went around 8am to get it over with. It was hard for me too. I was surprised at that esp after the 15 run the other day. I thought this 3rd session would have been a breeze but it wasn't. I might try session 1 of week 5 tomorrow, but I was also feeling like you in that maybe I should do one more run from session 4. I guess I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow afternoon. If I don't go tomorrow it won't be until Monday afternoon instead.
    Hi Rocki! I feel better knowing that you also thought the last day was tougher than it should have been. Perhaps it's the cumulative effect of all 3 runs in a short amount of time? Especially for you--are you taking any days off in between? They really encourage 1 or 2 days between runs to allow the body to rest. I looked at the Week 5 schedule and it's 3 5 minute runs w/ 3 minute walks in between, so I'll probably go ahead and do that since the run time doesn't increase. I won't go until Monday so hopefully the 2 day break will help me get through it.

My scale has been stuck at 152 for over a week now and I hope it's not from the running. I know I'll eventually break through the plateau even if it is extra water from running/weights but it's frustrating, especially when I'm really fighting to avoid holiday temptations!

My C25K plan for Christmas week is Day 1 on Monday, Day 2 at a hotel Wednesday morning, and hopefully Day 3 on my parents treadmill on Friday or Saturday. Not sure what to think of that 20 minute run coming up on Day 3...how about you?
  • Hey Kim..

I went ahead and did Day 1 of Week 5 today. It wasn't too bad. I really barely broke a sweat. When I did day 3 of week 4 I pushed myself (b/c the Podcast tole me to) during the last run and I was sweating a lot! I'll rest tomorrow (actually, I'll probably go lift weights b/c I still have yet to do THAT at the gym in the last 2 months or so). Then I'll run on Wednesday too. Scared about the 20 minutes.