Parsnips?

• My husband found a good sounding recipe consisting of sweet potatoes and parsnips. I'm not familiar with parsnips at all. Are they P2 friendly?
  • I don't see them in our sticky but I know I have used them in phase 2. I don't have my book here to check. My son loves them in a stir fry with beef, ginger, garlic, broccoli, and lots of other veggies.
  • They're fine listed as "very limited" in the Good Fat Good Carbs guide while carrots are listed as "good".
  • I think we figured out that "very limited" means you can have them once a month. For comparison, corn is also listed as "very limited."
  • Why are they very limited? Are they sweet or starchy? I always thought of them as similar to turnips or rutabagas, but I don't think I've ever eaten them.
  • They look a lot like a cream colored carrot and taste somewhat sweet so I think the glycemic load is high. I still am not about to tell Brian he can't have them in his stir fry since they are still a healthy vegetable and he only has it about once a month. Also we mix it with lots of other lower glycemic veggies so that should lower the average glycemic value.
  • Parsnips are 15 carbs and 4 sugars per cup compared to carrots at 8 and 5. I was surprised too but understand very limited now.
  • Wow!
    Darn, now that makes me want to try them!

no Barb, if my kids wanted to eat parsnips, I would certainly not discourage them! Unfortunately not ever likely to happen though...
  • Thanks Ladies! I think I might be brave and try it sometime. It will just have to be a "treat" food and not an every week food.