new-ish - or new again!

• I've been away from 3FC for awhile. I got busy and lost the habit. Now that winter is here, I'm less busy and need to get back into it for the motivation.

So - hi all! I am an old alternachick (just turned 40 ). I am married to the same guy I started dating as a teenager, and we have no kids by choice. Well, we do have two furkids - cats.

I was into punk/new wave stuff in the early and mid 80's (The Clash, The Jam, Joy Division, Ramones etc..). Then I got more into techno (Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method...), and now I'm into world/techno like oojami and TGU. I also play in DH's role playing game (GURPS), and spend waaaaaaaaaaay too much time playing computer games.

We have an elliptical machine at home, and I have been doing that and light weights for a year. I just started belly dancing classes this fall, and am having a ball. I'm not really dieting much, as I do love to cook, but I have cut back on portion sizes.

BP
  • hey bopeep i remember seeing you around. welcome back.
  • Welcome back!
  • Thanks guys! I know a lot of people come and go through here, so I wasn't sure I would be remembered

During the summers I tend to get seriously obsessed with my garden and lots of things get back-burnered. Like losing weight! I was able to maintain all summer, so at least I managed that! Since I started dancing, the weight has started to slip again, so I'm happy with that and back to get and give motivation

BP
  • Hey, welcome!
  • bopeep - what kind of dancing are you doing?
  • howdee bopeep!! velcum beck
  • Quote: bopeep - what kind of dancing are you doing?
    Belly dancing!!

It is so much fun and it's one where size does not matter. Of course there are those that think only slim beautiful people should be dancers, but they can kiss my pudgy derriere! I'm loving it, and don't care what the nay-sayers think!

BP
  • I bellydance too! Love it! I have been doing cabaret for a few years, tried some gypsy-style and I am now getting into "Gothic" bellydance.

As for only slim people dancing - Feh! It helps to be curvy in belly dance!
  • Quote: howdee bopeep!! velcum beck
    Thanks jandaman!

Quote: I bellydance too! Love it! I have been doing cabaret for a few years, tried some gypsy-style and I am now getting into "Gothic" bellydance.

As for only slim people dancing - Feh! It helps to be curvy in belly dance!
    I never believed I would have so much fun doing this - I have always loved dancing, but I never felt this sort of 'click' I have felt with BD

What I'm learning now is mostly Egyptian style, but I would like to check out Tribal at some point too. Actuallty, I plan on giving lots of different styles a try eventually (you never know beforehand if it's 'you' or not), but Egyptian and Tribal are the ones that have the most appeal for me right now (I'm new, they're flashy...). I am no way ready to get into Tribal yet though - I have to build up those muscles more before I try. I do not want to hurt myself!

I lucked out with my first teacher - she is very encouraging and does not have any issues with size. Her troupe has a girl in it who is considerably larger than I am, and apparently she has already lost a great deal of weight. This girl is a *fantastic* dancer and puts to rest any doubts about size and ability I had.

BP
  • bopeep - that's great that you have such a supportive teacher. Most of my classes have been with women between 25 to 50 and with a range of sizes.

Belly dance is great exercise for your abs, legs and definitely helped me lose inches off my butt and thighs.