Chicken Enchiladas (good with turkey)

• This recipe can be layered to save time or you can fill each tortilla and roll in the traditional way. Turkey, pork, or beef can be substituted for the chicken.

2 cups cooked and cubed chicken (turkey)
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup low fat Ricotta cheese
    1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    2 oz grated, low fat cheddar cheese
    2 oz grated, part skim mozzarella cheese
    12 whole wheat tortillas
    2 cans (10 oz each) enchilada sauce

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. mix first six ingredients and set aside.

Spray a 9 by 13 baking dish with non-stick coating spray. Pour 1/2 can of enchilada sauce in bottom of pan. Follow either method below for layered or rolled. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until heated thoroughly.

Rolled method: Place about 1/3 to 1/2 cup filling on each tortilla and roll to enclose. Place seam side down in baking dish. Top with remaining sauce.

Layered Method: Follow this order: 1/3 of the tortillas, 1/2 of the filling, 1/3 tortillas, 1 can of sauce, remainder of filling, remainder of tortillas, remainder of sauce.

Yield: 8 servings
  • Barb, would this freeze? I'd love to make some individual servings for my freezer stash.
  • I've never frozen it but I don't see why not. It is good leftover and there is enough sauce to keep it from getting dry.
  • Just my two cents - if I were going to freeze this, I wouldn't put the sauce on until I was ready to cook it. You could even freeze the rolls individually, then cook in the toaster oven if you just want a portion or two. That might help keep the tortillas from getting too soggy.