Declutter update

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Nope, I agree.

Maybe you should start by getting rid of some of the oldest stuff. No one can reasonably expect you to have anything for them from 10 or more years ago. Or, if you're feeling very generous, send out one mailing for each set. If you don't hear back within a month, or if the letter/card is returned, toss them then. You might even get some business out of it.
  • I'm getting ready to tackle another load of shredding. There's something I find satisfying about it. I have just the little home recycle bin that doesn't hold a whole lot, so I do it in batches. They have a community shred day here once a year, so maybe they have one there, too. Your sanitation company should know.

I'm pleased that I'm so far doing a pretty fair job of maintaining the parts of the house that have undergone some decluttering.
  • This thread has encouraged me. Here at work, I cleaned out 2 file cabinets and rearranged them so I can get my hands into the files as well as having them organized.

I've started doing some at home. I don't want to go too gung ho because it may give boobalah the idea that I want to do ALL the house and he'll throw away stuff that I want to keep.
  • I found a place just down the road from me - in fact on my way into the office every day - that will shred up to 50 lbs of paper for $15. If you make an appointment, they'll do it while you watch and provide you with the shredded material back or send it off for recycling.

Whee. I think I'm going to call and see if I can make an appointment for next Monday. I should be completely through sorting the files by then and have all the shredding set aside.

• That's quite a deal! Go for it!