Water question

• I know we've gone around in circles about how much water to drink, but I decided to go with 1/2 of my body weight in water per day. My question is that if I am losing weight should I cut down on the water to make it 1/2? In reality, I'm sure it doesn't matter, but I'm drinking about a gallon a day...that's a lot of potty breaks. Now that I'm at 184, I should be able to cut back to 92oz, but then again maybe I should just drink as much water as I have been drinking...

Help!
  • If i drank half my body weight in water a day... I'd be on the pot peeing with no time to do anything else... I'd die of water poisoning...
  • I think you're overthinking it. Drink as much as you need/want.

The best way to judge if you're getting enough is to check the color of your pee (assuming you're not taking vitamins that change the color). It should be pale (nearly the color of dry straw) and clear (not cloudy). If it's completely clear and colorless, then cut back a little on the water. If it's darker or cloudy, drink more.

How much you actually *need* will vary from day to day, depending on what you're doing, the temperature you're in, how much you sweat, what you eat, etc. Which is why saying you need X oz per day is simply silly. There's no way to measure what you need in concrete ounces based on some generic formula - even if it's based on your bodyweight.

• does drinking more water affect your body weight....
    will u loose more weight if u drink more?....

i find it often stops me munching....
  • You won't lose more weight when you drink more. However, it can be good to judge whether you're really hungry (really hungry doesn't disappear when you drink some water). Also, eating salty stuff can make the scale go up because it makes you retain water. But if you drink a lot the salt flushes out quicker and it will have less effect on the scale.
  • My dietician told me that water is essential to your metabolism, but you can overdo it. I think you should ask your doctor or a dietician to see how much is right for you. You don'w wanna walk around sloshing all day, what would people think? HEHE
  • I drink when I am thirsty and I drink when I am hungry...if I am still hungry after drinking then I eat.

I find some days I will drink up to 3 litres of water and others maybe only 1 litre. The average is probably about 2. I have a 1 ltr bottle which sits on my desk at work and I usually aim to get through 1.5 of them during the day with a few extra glasses in the morning (after my run) and in the evening with dinner.
  • I think any system that tells an obese person how much water to drink based on their total weight, and to decrease as fat goes down, is curious. Because fatty tissue doesn't have much water. It doesn't seem that losing fat would have nearly as much influence on how much water you need as your muscle mass would. In any event, it's a very, very generalized recommendation. I think you can simply adjust your water intake to whatever level keeps your urine from being dark without keeping you in the bathroom all day, and helps you feel less hungry.