Eggplant Parm - Low Cal - Vegetarian

• After a discussion on one of the other boards, I decided that I'll start posting some of the recipes I use on a regular basis, along with the nutrition info. Hope these are useful to someone!

1 large eggplant
    1 egg, beaten.
    1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
    Olive oil cooking spray (Pam or whatever brand)

15 oz can diced tomatoes
    1 medium onion, chopped fine
    1 clove garlic, chopped fine
    basil (fresh or dried)
    1 tsp olive oil

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Slice the eggplant thin, lay out on a papertowel, and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit for about 20 minutes to draw out the extra moisture.

Rinse the eggplant well and pat dry. Dip each slice in the egg, and then in the bread crumbs and lay out on a baking sheet. Spray with a little cooking spray (I used the Pam Olive Oil version) Bake in a 400 deg oven for about 30-40 minutes, until they start to turn a golden brown.

While the eggplant is baking: Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until the onion is translucent. Add the can of diced tomatoes, and lower to a simmer. Add the basil about 5 minutes before you add the sauce to the eggplant.

Once the eggplant is out of the oven, you can assemble the casserole. I used 2 small oval Corning Ware dishes to make individual servings, but you can do it in a larger casserole if you want.

Spread a thin later of the tomato mixture on the bottom (to prevent sticking). Layer in this order: eggplant, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese. (I made 2 layers each in my smaller dishes.) Top with the Parmesan cheese.

Slide the casserole(s) back into the 400 deg oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden on the top.

This makes 2 servings and is very very filling and yummy.

Calories 415
    Calories from Fat 144
    Sodium 586mg
    Carbohydrates 48.2g
    Dietary Fiber 12.5g
    Protein 23.4g
    Vitamin A 43% • Vitamin C 61%
    Calcium 46% • Iron 18%
  • I'll have to try that sometime. I'm trying to learn to like eggplant. Cheese is always good for that
  • Cheese is good for liking most things, right?

Having it oven fried helps too. The texture of the eggplant becomes more crispy and light. I'm not a big fan of plain eggplant when it's just steamed or baked, otherwise.

• thx for this and future postings

the cal count is per serving or for the whole batch?

I was reading the earlier thread, tried to post a support of this idea and my reply was cybermangled.....(I was trying to post from mobile phone..)
  • Per serving!

• Yes!!!! Cheese is good for liking things!!!! LOL!!!! I know what you mean about "trying to like eggplant". I like nearly everything under the sun except okra (really yuck) and eggplant (semi-yuck).