Ummm, can you lose height as you lose weight?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • When I first started WW (Sept 2007), they measured me at 5'9 and a half.
    Well, I went in there this morning and asked them to measure me again. And they said I'm 5'8"?? I made her check twice.
    Both times I was bare foot........
    You guessed it, I'm a little bit confused.
    I'm only 22 (in December), so I know I don't have osteoperosis or anything like that. I drink and eat tons of calcium!.
    I don't even own a measuring tape to measure myself... (well I can't find it )
    I'm confuzzled!
  • Very interesting, I have no idea about anything like that so I guess I am not much help lol. Maybe the person who did the measuring last time did it wrong???
  • I don't know! I'm not sure how accurate the way they measure you is either, You stand against the wall with your back to the measuring tape on the wall. All my friends are 5'3" or 5'4", and they come up to my shoulders. A little awkward at times, especially if in heels lol. I always thought I was taller then 5'8"...
  • You can lose some height with weight lose because we all carry subcutaneous fat even in our scalps and on our foot pads, but 1 1/2 inches just does not seem physically possible. My guess is that your original measurement was simply incorrect.
  • Quote: You can lose some height with weight lose because we all carry subcutaneous fat even in our scalps and on our foot pads, but 1 1/2 inches just does not seem physically possible. My guess is that your original measurement was simply incorrect.
    Well, Maybe I just had a really fat head.
  • You do get a little smaller as you get older but not so much in so little time. It was both at WW but do you remember if it was the same way of measuring? Maybe they got a new device because the old one was incorrect?
  • Quote: You do get a little smaller as you get older but not so much in so little time. It was both at WW but do you remember if it was the same way of measuring? Maybe they got a new device because the old one was incorrect?

Nope - it was the same way of measuring. Same wall and all.
  • I think it was just that the first person was incorrect. Hard to say when someone shorter than you is measuring.

I'm told I'm both 5'11" and 6'.... I always like to think I'm the latter. Doesn't matter much in the end considering I wear high heels.
  • Yeah, I'm starting to think the first girl just made an error. All the girls at my centre are shorter than me, so it's difficult to see it correctly. I think I'm just gonna go with 5'8". I know I'm tall, taller than most women, but I'm not TALL TALL.
    5'8" works for me.
  • Quote: I think it was just that the first person was incorrect. Hard to say when someone shorter than you is measuring.

I'm told I'm both 5'11" and 6'.... I always like to think I'm the latter. Doesn't matter much in the end considering I wear high heels.
    Hurray for tall people wearing high heels. I LOVE my stilettos.
  • I usually think it helps you get taller lol
  • Quote: Hurray for tall people wearing high heels. I LOVE my stilettos.

Haha, Ya mon!. Last weekend I went to a club and wore these giant heels. So cute. Anywho, I towered above EVERYONE. Including most of the men.
  • I swear my feet got smaller when I lost weight. I used to be a 9/10 now I'm an 8!
  • Totally off topic but I see you are from Canada, I grew up in Brantford Ontario Anyway just wanted to say HI lol
  • I would bet the first person measured you wrong.