Trader Joe's???

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • I just found out we're getting a Trader Joe's in our area - opening next week! I've never been to one before, but I've heard so much talk about good things that are only available there. So, my question is... what is your favorite healthy food item that is only available at Trader Joe's? I want to be prepared for my first shopping excursion. Thanks!
  • I want a Trader Joes. No one can tell me why they don't come here! We have everything else under the sun--Whole Foods, Central Market--but what I really want is TJ.
  • So many but here are a few of my favs!

Chile-lime burgers(in the frozen foods)
    Whole wheat english muffins
    non-sorbate prunes
    frozen bags of edamame
    whole wheat pizza dough (already prepared-usually near the produce)
    packaged salad mixes
    feta cheese
    I love Trader Joes! There prices are great and the quality is amazing!
  • AND their Greek yogurt is the best and so much cheaper than you find it at the grocery store. So is their NoPudge brownie mix. Lots of things are cheaper there than at the grocery store. It was the only place I could find the Ezekial bread too, but they finally started carrying it at my local grocery store.

go in, wonder around...too many treasures to list
  • Here's my list:

Buffalo Burgers in the frozen section
    Pre measured packs of roasted almonds
    Pesto
    Their famous wine (2.50, can't beat it!)
    Freeze dried strawberries
    Frozen precooked brown rice
  • Your so lucky. There isn't even a Trader Joe's in a 40 mile radius around my area.
  • Your going to love trader Joe's!!! I'm so upset. I'm moving next month and there won't be one where I will be living!

I love the Trader Joe's grilled eggplant parmesan!!! Its tastes just as good as one you would get in a restaurant without all the fat and calories! Its only 160 calories!!!

Another great item which I just discovered is the Trader Joe's everything crackers! Yummmy... It's great because you can have 15 crackers in a serving!

They have a lot of good frozen items without all the preservatives you find in name brands and a large supermarket. The frozen fruit and veggies are awesome! Be careful though... a lot of things look healthy, and they are but they still have a lot of calories!

Overall its a great store and I think you'll like the variety and healthier options they have! Hope that helped some!

• Meatless meatballs
    Frozen edamame
    Mineral water
    Red pepper and eggplant spread
    Veggies - cheaper and fresher than the grocery store IMHO
    Canadian Bacon - also cheaper than grocery store
    Soy cheese - shredded and sliced
    Unsweetened vanila almond milk
    Stocks in a box - also cheaper than grocery store
    Tomato soup in a box
    Fat free feta
    Fiberful - a fruit leather thingy
    panini rolls - good sized rolls for 140 calories
    Hebrew national 45 calorie hot dogs - cheaper than grocery store
    Fresh Tuna, Wild salmon, tilapia

etc etc etc.. Lots of stuff is cheaper than the grocery store so look at everything.

They have free samples of something every day and I always try everything. I've found some new favorites that way.
  • I think Trader Joe's is fun for perusing. It has a lot of convenience foods and some unique items.

I don't really shop there much anymore since I went to the 'dark side' of Whole Foods which is better for what I buy.
  • One thing I don't like is the prepackaged produce. I do buy the Just Leaves lettuce at times. But I'd like to pick out my peppers myself. I walk across the street to one just about every day. I like to see what they are sampling in the "Taste of Trader Joe's" area. Sometimes I have to ignore what they are serving. It was green bean casserole the other day. YUCK!

They have a soy chorizo that is wonderful. It really does taste like chorizo without all the fat, grease, etc. I bought some of the organic tomatoe and roasted pepper soup as well. We really like it.

I get my almond milk there. It is way cheaper than the regular grocery store. High fiber cereal as well.

They do have quite a bit of organic stuff there. Good prices.
  • I guess if I had to pick one favorite thing, it would be their reduced/low fat salad dressings. They have two in the refrigerated area that I especially like. One is parmesan ranch, the other cilantro. There are several more that I like in the regular salad dressing area. Most purchased salad dressing taste like chemicals to me. For whatever reason, these from TJs don't have that same taste.

I also like their pound plus, 72%, dark chocolate bar imported from Belgium. It is a huge bar in a red wrapper. I break it up along the sections and freeze it. I eat one section after dinner.

I buy raw seeds, nuts and dried fruit to make my own snack mix. I got some at Costco once that I really liked, so I sort of semi-copied it with stuff from TJs.
  • Yeah, we got Trader Joe's last year and I gotta say, I don't really see the hype. Other than the Two-Buck-Chuck (which is about $3 here), there's not anything at TJs that I can't get cheaper at Whole Foods or even my local grocery store.

It's fun to browse some of the things, but in general (this is just my opinon, and I don't mean to offend anyone! ) it's just a yuppie grocery store.

• Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! And I'll keep that in mind, too, PhotoChick... I've just heard so much hoopla over this store and never got to see it for myself, so I am a little excited!
  • Photo - maybe your prices in grocery stores are cheaper down there? My grocery bill is an average of $15-20 cheaper when I shop at TJs vs. a grocery store here...

I love their pumpkin butter. It's seasonal, so get it while you can, but its a wonderful alternative to maple syrup on pancakes, and excellent drizzled on roasted butternut squash.
  • Quote:
    Photo - maybe your prices in grocery stores are cheaper down there? My grocery bill is an average of $15-20 cheaper when I shop at TJs vs. a grocery store here...
    Wow. Yeah, I think because TJ is seen as a "specialty" or "gourmet" store here, it's a little more price-inflated.