car sick

• Cody, my 13 wk old, doesn't seem to care for car rides. I thought it was just his timid side holding a little strong... Most things he's been timid of he's come to outgrow and be fine with. But the car has been another story altogether. Well, I brought him for a ride last Friday and the poor little tyke threw up in my back seat...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • Hi Loriann,

I used to have the same problem with my pup when she was little. We used to take car rides up to her grandparents place and within 10 minutes in the car she'd get sick. I talked to my vet and he suggested dramanine. Because she was so little, under 10 lbs, he suggested a half a pill about 30 minutes before we would leave. Worked great. She'd get sleepy and relax, usually falling asleep for the ride up and did not get sick.

I'd also bring along her blanket so she could curl up in it in the back seat.

I would talk with your vet's office to make sure they approve, but it worked for my little one!

Good luck!
  • My dog did the same thing and thankfully, she grew out of it. My vet told us to get baby benadryl. It did put her to sleep but AFTER she had already thrown up.

By the time she was about 5 months old, she stopped.

I was told that the best way to help with being car sick is to constantly take the pup everywhere in the car. They just get used to it.
  • Try a doggie car seat. It elevates your dog so he/she can see. A friend of mine tried it and her dog no longer throws up riding in the car. He actually enjoys going for a ride now that he can sit in his seat and watch whats going on.
  • My bichon has a serious issue with car sickness, and the one thing that works for him is acepromazine(not sure if that spelling is correct). A small dose is all that is needed and you would get it from your vet. However, cody is much younger than roddy, my bichon, and could very possibly outgrow it. Perhaps bring these options up with your vet and see what he/she says, because it could be physical, mental, or a combo. Roddy will shake and drool even before I start the car, so I do believe anxiety makes it worse. Does your dog seem nervous or is it a spontaneous thing?