HIIT and weight training

• Just wondering for those who do HIIT and weight training...

Do you usually do yours on the same day, or different days?

I usually split mine up - on the days where I weight train, I do "straight heart rate cardio" -- and the days where I don't weight train, that's when I do HIIT...
  • Thanks for posting this question. I would like to know the answers too.
  • I'm not currently doing any HIIT, but when I was it was usually after lifting. The routine would start with heavier lifting, then slower core work, then HIIT. On the days in between I would do less intense intervals and/or steady state cardio. I've seen people sometimes talk about doing HIIT for 60 mins. I usually assume they're just talking intervals. 15-20 mins of HIIT should wipe you out (if you're going all out during the intense portion).

I dropped the HIIT when I changed strength training programs. It has less slower core work in it and I doubt I could put 15-20 mins of HIIT on the end.
  • I do HIIT on days when I've done upper body (so my lower body can still take it) or on off days for lifting. I can't do it on lower body days -- I can barely move my lower body when I'm done.
  • Quote: I do HIIT on days when I've done upper body (so my lower body can still take it) or on off days for lifting. I can't do it on lower body days -- I can barely move my lower body when I'm done.
    That's exactly what I do too...
  • I just read an article yesterday saying studies have shown people who do 30 minutes of intervals versus 40 mins steady lost 3 times as much body fat!!! That is a big difference. iknew it was good for you but I never realized how muchof a difference it makes..i just started doing interval training last week.I am trying to alternate bike one day treadmill the next for 30 mins a pop, 90 secs top speed /3 minute recovery..not sure if what I am doing falls into the HIIT category though ..what is the difference ? Thanks in advance for any input! Want to make sure I am working out as effectively as possible.
  • I generally don't do cardio on the days that I strength train. I strength train on Mon, Wed, and Fri, and do HIIT on Tues and Thurs, and sometimes on Sun. Both the HIIT and the strength training take a lot of out of me, so doing both on the same day just isn't feasible.
  • I've been doing HIIT & weight training together, but have come to realize that I need to beef up my strength training a little. I've been taking it a little leisurely, so HIIT right after hasn't seemed too hard... Once I move the intensity up on resistance training I'll see how the HIIT goes and update.
  • I just started doing circuit training so I do SS cardio on my circuit days and then on days off I do HIIT.
  • I can't do both together. If I weight train, I train to failure (or almost failure) so by the time I'm done, I simply can't do another 30 mins of HIIT. And if I do my HIIT properly, I coudln't possibly do it before or after weights.

On days I weight train, I do 30 mins of ss-cardio afterward, at a medium intensity, just to sort of loosen up and cool down.

On other days I do HIIT and then get off the machine and wish I could lie down on the floor and pant for a while.